So who drives their Mustang in the winter?

UrbanRedneck

Mar 27, 2008
How do mostly stock S197s do in the snow?

I wanted to buy a winter beater so I don't have to drive my Mustang in the winter, but I really don't think I can afford it. I work 22 miles away, and I'm afraid a $500 car will fail me one day and I cannot afford to be late for work (new job with high aspirations), and one I trust is way more money than I have. I just started a new job, used to be an apprentice tech, now I'm at a different shop and not an apprentice anymore, and I REALLY need to start buying more tools (also used to only work on one line, Honda/Acura, now work on all makes and models), and I just paid for ASE testing and some other ****, I really don't think I can afford it. So it looks like I'll have to drive my Mustang at least this winter. Hopefully it won't be that bad. I figured it out that on the days when it is snowing or still real snowy, I can get up earlier, drive my wife to work and take her explorer (she works half an hour earlier than me, 20 minutes from my job, so it's ok) then pick her up. Then on other days once it's plowed it won't matter much. I can pay the guy down the block 20 bucks to plow my alley so I don't get stuck in the garage. Then I'll just make it a point to wash the car every week to keep the salt at bay. At least this way I know I'll have a realiable car that won't ever fail me, has good heat, gets good gas milage, etc. But I'm afraid of the one day that she works overnight and I have to drive mine, and I wake up and it's blizzarding. SO how do these cars do in the snow? My brother had a 99 Mustang years ago, and it got stuck all the time, but was lowered and had 275s in the back. Mine is stock suspension, stock tire. I'm a person that can generally drive anything without much issue, so I don't think it will be too bad.

I guess I'm just wondering who else has to drive theirs year round to make me feel better lol.

• Sponsors (?)

I drive my V6 here in jersey year round. Winters havent been so bad lately but i remember last year we had like 6 inches and the car (which is a 5 speed) got stuck getting out of my driveway. So what I had to do was turn off traction control (it doesn't help when your stuck) and do the 1st gear to 2nd real quick or start in 2nd gear and it was no problem getting out. Its good though

i had to drive my 94 in the snow. with 3.73s and a 315 out the back. and i THINK a 275 on the front

was my first time driving in snow. didn't realize how sideways i could get with no throttle. haha.

this year i am walking in the snow, if it snows at all.

I used to drive my '94 in Spokane, Wa. I only had all season tires on, which were siped AND I lived up on a hill. Once I came down into the city, the only way to get home was going back up the hill. I did fine. You just have to drive differently.

For one, I never used my brake and just downshifted until I stopped. When I climbed the hill or came to a slippery area, I would put 1/2 my car into fresh snow on the right hand side of the road for more traction. I also drove as slow as I needed to and "f" the other drivers. I never got into an accident during winter.

My dad used to live in Montana and taught me everything I know about driving in the snow. He taught me you don't need a certain type of car to drive in the snow either. It's all about the DRIVER = )

Yeah I am pretty confidant with myself. I'm more worried about other people, bt I guess I just have to avoid other cars lol. I drive my dad's Magnum in all weather with no problems, it has nowhere near the power the Mustang has but it is just as low and just as RWD lol. I have never owned a front wheel drive car, and my previoud 4x4 truck was never in 4 wheel drive on a road unless I was in a big hurry to get out of a parking spot. But I don't park my Mustang on the street, and I will not drive it in heavy snow, so I think I'll be ok..

When the windows freeze they just FREEZE, thats it. I drove mine last year in the snow and ice-- being very careful not to try and jump a snow mound!!:nono:
I am use to nothing but my old big 4 wheeled drive trucks and making the transition to a RWD sports car was a little tricky, but I know how to handle driving in the snow.
Like said above, turning the TCS off if you find yourself trying to move and can't did help me, but you just have to be careful to not stop real close to a curb or something-- you will end up going a little sideways even on a flat area if you even give just a tad too much gas taking off.

My girlfriend wife doesn't like driving in the snow so I always do. One thing I have found on these cars is that on a wet or ice road you have to maintain a comfortable speed to not end up sliding sideways where there is a lot of semi traffic, it pulls my car in the grooves and when it is raining it can be kinda scary.

My best advice is to keep a safe comfortable speed and forget the others behind you, give yourself about 30-45 min extra travel time just to be on the safe side.

Oh one other thing---

If there is any snow on your stang, wipe off the roof!!!
Almost every time it snowed I almost forgot to wipe off the roof, and once the snow fell down into to interior and made a real mess-- scooped out as much as I could and ran to get the wet vac to such up what I could not get with my hands to get the rest before it melted too much. I was frozen by th time I cleaned it up!!!:mad:

But if the windows are frozen and won't roll down, how does the door open? I'm not really worried, because i always lube my window channels and weatherstrip anyway (with silicone) and park in the garage, but I have always wondered.

I live in South Jersey and I drive mine year round. ..not that we have had 'bad' weather here lately, but she made it through last winter with only a spur in the windshield.

Basically you just have to drive slow and smart. I'm switching back to the OEM all season tires in a few weeks. If you get alot of snow in your area you might want to look into winter tires.

Im in Arkansas and we dont get snow we get ice and the stock tires perform fantastically in my opinion. You have to worry about other fools out there on the road too though. If you have anything else to drive I recomend it.

I drove my '03 in the snow. Summer tires. Didn't have many problems. Usually started in 2nd, and drove at what I felt was a safe speed. Then again, my first car was a '65 Galaxie 352, and I got it in the winter lol. It's mostly about the driver, but it is definitely important to have good tires. Even if they're only all seasons and not winter tires.