Another Engine Surging thread JRICHKER?

bdazzgt

I had to jerk off the cable to get it to stop.
Dec 27, 2005
Springfield MO
So I've been battling an idle problem for the last few months. Ive been through the surging idle checklist thread, the problem is the car doesn't surge all the time. It intermittently will surge at a stop light, die....then I restart it and it runs good, it also runs great driving down the road. So the last two days, I reset the CPU, took the upper intake off put in new gaskets, ran all new vacuum lines, put new PCV valves in, cleaned the salt and pepper connectors, put two 4g ground wires on, cleaned the IAC, cleaned the throttle body, adjusted the TPS sensor to 0.98v, cleaned the mass air sensor with rubbing alcohol, I have a C&L 24lb injectors with mass air meter. adjustable fuel pressure regulator set at 38lbs, timing at 14*, mods are in the sig, I ran codes with KOER 94, 44, 33 and KOEO 81,82, 84, 85. I have no SMOG on the car except the EGR valve/spacer but it is not hooked up. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Clocking the MAF would have been my next guess. Can you pin down some of the conditions that seem to happen before the surge happens? Things like outside air temp, coolant temp, slowing to a stop, etc.

Its when I pull up to a stoplight and it will occasionally do it. I drove 60 miles one day with no problem but the second i get back to town and I stop it surges and dies. Car runs 180* its not consistant when the motor is cold/warm seems to make no difference. sometimes slowing to a stop seems to be problematic, maybe the VSS could this play a role in it? it didnt throw a code though.

Is your timing set with a timing light?
Your problem will probably be more prevelent in stop and go driving. With that in mind, try clocking the MAF in 45* increments to see if that makes a difference.

Recommended procedure for cleaning the IAC/IAB:
Conventional cleaning methods like throttle body cleaner aren’t very effective. The best method is a soak type cleaner used for carburetors. If you are into fixing motorcycles, jet skis, snowmobiles or anything else with a small carburetor, you probably have used the one gallon soak cleaners like Gunk or Berryman. One of the two should be available at your local auto parts store for $22-$29. Take the solenoid off the body and set it aside: the carb cleaner will damages some types of plastic parts. Soak the metal body in the carb cleaner overnight. There is a basket to set the parts in while they are soaking. When you finish soaking overnight, twist the stem of the IAB/IAC that sticks out while the blocker valve is seated. This removes any leftover deposits from the blocker valve seat. Rinse the part off with water and blow it dry with compressed air. The IAC/IAB should seal up nicely now. Once it has dried, try blowing through the bottom hole and it should block the air flow. Reassemble and reinstall to check it out.

Gunk Dip type carb & parts soaker:
21hb0QWbOeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Setting the base idle speed:
First of all, the idle needs to be adjusted to where the speed is at or below 600 RPM with the IAC disconnected. Then the electrical signal through the IAC can vary the airflow through it under computer control. Remember that the IAC can only add air to increase the base idle speed set by the mechanical adjustment. The 600 RPM base idle speed is what you have after the mechanical adjustment. The IAC increases that speed by supplying more air under computer control to raise the RPM’s to 650-725 RPM’s

Remember that changing the mechanical idle speed adjustment changes the TPS setting too.

This isn't the method Ford uses, but it does work. Do not attempt to set the idle speed until you have fixed all the codes and are sure that there are no vacuum leaks.

Disconnect the battery negative terminal and turn the headlights on. Leave the battery negative terminal disconnected for 5 minutes or so. Then turn the headlights off and reconnect the battery. This erases the computer settings that may affect idle performance.

Warm the engine up to operating temperature, place the transmission in neutral, and set the parking brake. Turn off lights, A/C, all unnecessary electrical loads. Disconnect the IAC electrical connector. Remove the SPOUT plug. This will lock the ignition timing so that the computer won't change the spark advance, which changes the idle speed. Note the engine RPM: use the mechanical adjustment screw under the throttle body to raise or lower the RPM until you get the 600 RPM mark +/- 25 RPM. Changing the mechanical adjustment changes the TPS, so you will need to set it.

When you are satisfied with the results, turn off the engine, and re-install the SPOUT and reconnect the IAC. The engine should idle with the range of 650-750 RPM without the A/C on or extra electrical loads.

Sounds like the timing was set wit the correct tool. I will assume that you removed the SPOUT when setting the timing and put it back in when you finished.

Airflow is a funny thing with C&L MAFs, sometimes they work perfectly and other times they have problems. Clocking the MAF is a cheap and simple test trick that will help eliminate the MAF as a possible problem source.

Sounds like the timing was set wit the correct tool. I will assume that you removed the SPOUT when setting the timing and put it back in when you finished.

Airflow is a funny thing with C&L MAFs, sometimes they work perfectly and other times they have problems. Clocking the MAF is a cheap and simple test trick that will help eliminate the MAF as a possible problem source.

Yes i removed the SPOUT connector lol, and placed it back in when finished. I had no problems with the c&l until the last month or so i will try and re clock it and see what happens. the IAC has been cleaned with the procedure mentioned above. and the idle was set also.

Im at wits end with this car, I cant figure out why it doesn't want to idle. I spent a full day trying to figure out why it will not run correctly. So this is that i did, replaced all the vacuum lines again... since i had plenty of line left from last time. I sprayed everything with carb cleaner to no avail, clocked the mass air meter in about 10* increments with no luck, retimed it to 14*. I just replaced the IAC and set the base idle speed according to the checklist. I then put some seafoam in a vacuum line. None of this worked, could it be the ignition control module like said above? It seems to be worse when the motor is warm, when you push in the clutch the RPM's seem to drop so drastically the IAC cant keep up. Its starting to get pricy to diagnose these problems with no code. Right now a for sale sign is looking pretty tempting

Well I put on a new module and it didn't work. Ive been driving the car a lot. The problem seems to be when I am decelerating and the engine is warm. Most of the time if I allow the car to slow in gear and just brake without downshifting bringing the rpms to 1000ish the car will idle fine once i push the clutch in. It seems the motor cant compensate for the drastic drop in rpms what would cause this? Codes are the same as above idle is around 800 TPS .98v. Im outta ideas guys

Check your vacuum lines and make sure the line to the carbon canister is capped and not leaking. The code 85 indicates that the canister purge solenoid has been removed, so the leftover plumbing poses a possibility for vacuum leaks.