another exhaust question

futura1

Oct 24, 2018
Denver
I suspect my question has been asked and answered before, but here we go again. I just helped my son get his 65 Futura running, it is without exhaust, just straight manifolds. It seems that there must be a different type of manifold for the drivers side as the column shift linkage hits the top of the manifold. More questions sure to follow, but don't want to do too much more with open pipes. Neighbors say its okay, but for how long. Anyway, any info on where I might find or at least view a picture of the proper drivers side manifold would be appreciated.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There are different manifolds for different cars and different setups, if it's not original than you just need to buy one that fits your application. Does it look like this??? https://www.cjponyparts.com/exhaust-manifold-pair-260-289-302-1965-1970/p/EXM3/
That is exactly what the manifolds that are on the car now look like. Problem is the shift linkage from the column shifter hits the end of the manifold on the drivers side as I try to put the car in drive. Must be a different manifold for this application.

WHen I saw Futura for some reason my old brain said Sprint, but you're talking about a falcon which explains the column shifter. That pic I posted is Mustang, most parts are interchangeable, but it's possible falcon used a different manifold because of the column shifter. Give me a minute or 6, I'll see what I can find out. Do you know if that has the 289 or the 260?

On preliminary search I couldn't find a listing for exhaust manifolds for a v8 falcon. I did find a Falcon Parts site that listed 6 cyl manifolds, but listed headers for the v8. So it's possible it's a different manifold than a mustang and nobody makes it. I put out a feeler with a guy that has ford parts books at his fingertips. If that comes up empty I have an original set of ford books that I haven't dug out in years, but I'll do it if I don't get the info from him. If it isn't available new, you're either going to have to alter the lever or the manifold to clear, or try and locate a junk v8 falcon and that might be tough. If you take a picture of it I may have a suggestion. [email protected]
PS. I had another thought, if an engine mount or the tranny mount is NG the engine may have moved and is allowing the lever to hit.

On preliminary search I couldn't find a listing for exhaust manifolds for a v8 falcon. I did find a Falcon Parts site that listed 6 cyl manifolds, but listed headers for the v8. So it's possible it's a different manifold than a mustang and nobody makes it. I put out a feeler with a guy that has ford parts books at his fingertips. If that comes up empty I have an original set of ford books that I haven't dug out in years, but I'll do it if I don't get the info from him. If it isn't available new, you're either going to have to alter the lever or the manifold to clear, or try and locate a junk v8 falcon and that might be tough. If you take a picture of it I may have a suggestion. [email protected]
PS. I had another thought, if an engine mount or the tranny mount is NG the engine may have moved and is allowing the lever to hit.
Worth: thank you for the response.Yes it is a v8 a 289. the car also has new motor and tranny mounts. I really believe I just have the wrong manifolds. What is really sad is that years ago I had a couple of 289's, one from a 66 mustang and one (the original falcon motor). it is very likely that while cleaning out some extra "stuff", I probably tossed the correct manifolds not realizing they were different. Lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.
will try to get you a picture, but I am going to be in mexico next week soaking up some sun and a few cervesa's. anything you can dig up is greatly appreciated.

OK I found a pic and a part # C3DZ-9431-A, I believe is what you are looking for and it is not the same as the mustang.

http://mustangtek.com/exhaust/C3DE-9431-A.html and if you call ; Gene Messer Ford of Amarillo. You may find one. He may have one in stock.

may want to change your vacation plans to include a pass threw Amarillo :)
Thanks again Worth and lol on the pass thru Amarillo. My wife would just hand me a parachute on the fly over. I will pass the info to my son to see if that's what he wants. (he is without internet).
thanks again