Another newbie.

bobbylx

Mar 3, 2004
Ok, well I just bought an 88 mustang lx and found this wonderful place to ask for advice. So, here I go. For some background I found this car in the mountains of NC and bought it for $900. It has 66k original miles and is in really good shape. Typical aged paint job and worn interior. I am just curious what I can do to squeeze a little extra horse power out of it without doing too many mods? I can't really afford to convert to turbo at this time. Really just looking for simple things I can do. This is my first mustang but I am an OK mechanic. First thing I did was remove the air filter silencer and remove my AC belt. AC has been dead a long time. I put some new plugs in it and put a K&N air filter. This has made it much more responsive already. Are there any other easy mods like this I can do? I am also going to replace the exhaust, that thing is rusted to pieces. What should I think about replacing the exhaust, I would like it to have a nice sound also, not like a ricer. Anyway, thanks in advance. If I can figure out how I will link to some pics soon, in case anyone is interested.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, since you have an '88 you should be able to use a Civic CAI, some of the guys here have done it. I'd go with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers for the exhaust, I love mine. Get pics as soon as you can! :D

Ash

glad to have you on here. I have an '88 as well.

Truth is, not much you can do to the engine that's gonna make it exciting except going turbo. For the money you can throw at it while it's naturally aspirated, I'd save those funds for turboing.

Cheapest stuff is bumping the timing to 14 degree's, long tube header, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, bigger fuel pump, better ignition components - but none of that stuff is going to help much. You can make it more responsive via that route but not much more powerful. If it's an auto, I'd def recommend a 5 speed swap.

You could shave the head to raise compression, but who care's... just not gonna be that great.

You can add nitrous and that's probably the only thing I'd consider if you must stay n/a.

Otherwise I'd just say keep it clean and enjoy it. You'll still get the crap beat out of you by civics.

Be looking for a used cheap beat up turbocoupe, buy it, swap out the engine, then you'll be REALLY pleased.

Read those tech articles.

I do have a page for n/a mods on my website you can review for ideas: http://140cilx.stangnet.com/whats_new.html

Hi, from a fellow newbie.

I am going to buy a 91' Mustang.

Good luck with your car, Auto or Man ? I couldnt stand drivin an automatic Mustang bleh.

Ive been looking at these boards for a few weeks now, but just finally joined after deciding to get my firends 2.3l instead of his 5.0. These peope know their stuff

Yeah, mine is a 5 speed. So I read lots of the tech articles, I am gonna bump my timing just a bit, and in a month or so get the exhaust put on. I have what looks like the factory exhaust, some crappy 1 3/4 inch pipe or something close to that. What diameter pipe would be good to open it up and get a couple extra HP? Also, those dynomax mufflers, do they have a good sound to it? Like I said, I want high pitched ricer sounds, it would be nice if I could make it sound close to a V8. And what is with it having 2 catalytic converters on it? :rolleyes:

bobbylx said:
Yeah, mine is a 5 speed. So I read lots of the tech articles, I am gonna bump my timing just a bit, and in a month or so get the exhaust put on. I have what looks like the factory exhaust, some crappy 1 3/4 inch pipe or something close to that. What diameter pipe would be good to open it up and get a couple extra HP? Also, those dynomax mufflers, do they have a good sound to it? Like I said, I want high pitched ricer sounds, it would be nice if I could make it sound close to a V8. And what is with it having 2 catalytic converters on it? :rolleyes:

why would you want to soundlike a ricer ? :shrug: but if you like that sound thats cool the dynomax mufflers sound pretty good tho you coud 2" all the way back also do you have to have cats and if you dont i wouldent have them on but if you have to have them because of emissions i would get high flows

welcome to the board

Well, that will teach me to proof-read my work. It should be, I don't want it to sound like a ricer. :shrug: I would like to have something close to V8 sound. Man, don't I look silly.