any of you 4.6L guys using an 05-up tremec 3650?

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
View attachment 263261

I've been browsing ebay and I see 05-up trannys for good prices...since my t5 is going to require major surgery to work with the 4.6L(or a $500 bellhousing) I have decided to sell it and get a 3650(the higher torque rating is a bonus too)....01-04 3650s for some reason are more expensive than 05-up models....I was looking at 05-up...obviously the shifter is on a linkage setup...which is actually an advantage to me...this will have the same effect as one of those mustangs plus restomod shifters except it will all be below the tunnel...allowing a much cleaner look and a perfect shifter placement(unless the linkage is too long...in which case I can always cut it down and re-weld it) what do you think of the idea?

p.s. I would have to adapt to a U-joint setup, assuming thats possible with this tranny

• Sponsors (?)

I've got one in my 06 GT Stang. Only thing I don't like about it is 1st gear. The only way to downshift into 1st is to plant your foot all the way to the floor on the clutch and wait a second or two till the gears mesh before trying to slip it into gear. Even then, you really need to come to a complete stop before trying it. With the 3.55 rear, that gear is almost on the verge of being useless in normal driving. I can take off comfortably in second.