Any of you guys running Prochargers? Why or why not?

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Ok so I looked around, maybe not hard enough but I’m kind of interested in more info, input, why, why not, etc etc on the Procharger units, don’t know much about them, kind of like the D1SC. Are these blowers good? I’m just looking for pros and cons as I still like the Vortech V3 SI as well. Gracias amigos

• Sponsors (?)

Ahhhh where to start . Basically there is many ways to skin a cat . Pro charger makes a decent product and have around along time too . Guys have been fast with them as well. Until recent years the allure of the self contained units also drew guys in because of ease of installation over the Vortech on street cars . This is a non issue now as Vortech has self contained units capable of 800 plus rear wheel hp .

Both being centri units they are the same but different . Pro charger uses a higher step up gear ratio within the blower so if you notice there blower pulleys are way bigger . Vortech uses a lower step up ratio hence the smaller pulley . At similar boost levels in the 6-8 psi kit the Vortech doesn’t need a intercooler vs the procharger coming with it . Not to say it isn’t beneficial later on depending on what your goals are boost and hp wise .

Vortech also offers compressor maps with effcienxy ratings for every blower they make where as procharger I do not believe will release that info . Many guys also like not having to move the battery in to the trunk to do a blower on their street car with the driver side mounting only of the procharger . Like I said earlier different ways to skin a cat. Both may yield similar results . What it all comes down to is - Not all boost is created equal ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhhh where to start . Basically there is many ways to skin a cat . Pro charger makes a decent product and have around along time too . Guys have been fast with them as well. Until recent years the allure of the self contained units also drew guys in because of ease of installation over the Vortech on street cars . This is a non issue now as Vortech has self contained units capable of 800 plus rear wheel hp .

Both being centri units they are the same but different . Pro charger uses a higher step up gear ratio within the blower so if you notice there blower pulleys are way bigger . Vortech uses a lower step up ratio hence the smaller pulley . At similar boost levels in the 6-8 psi kit the Vortech doesn’t need a intercooler vs the procharger coming with it . Not to say it isn’t beneficial later on depending on what your goals are boost and hp wise .

Vortech also offers compressor maps with effcienxy ratings for every blower they make where as procharger I do not believe will release that info . Many guys also like not having to move the battery in to the trunk to do a blower on their street car with the driver side mounting only of the procharger . Like I said earlier different ways to skin a cat. Both may yield similar results . What it all comes down to is - Not all boost is created equal ;)
Thanks man appreciate the info

I ran a Procharger kit many, many years ago before I got my Kenne Bell. It was a 600b kit. At the time, it made arguably more power than the V1SC and spun up quicker (likely due to the internal gearing mentioned by @TOOLOW91 ). The blower pulleys were actually a selling feature for me because I wanted to stay 8-rib.

To shorten the story I like very quick and responsive street cars. I drove a KB car belonging to a friend and had to have it.

I have no head to head comparison newer than that to give. Procharger and ATI have both released much improved versions since then. If I were to do a Centri blower again, I would go inter-cooled regardless of who made the blower. PITA to install afterward, even with a kit.

I ran a Procharger kit many, many years ago before I got my Kenne Bell. It was a 600b kit. At the time, it made arguably more power than the V1SC and spun up quicker (likely due to the internal gearing mentioned by @TOOLOW91 ). The blower pulleys were actually a selling feature for me because I wanted to stay 8-rib.

To shorten the story I like very quick and responsive street cars. I drove a KB car belonging to a friend and had to have it.

I have no head to head comparison newer than that to give. Procharger and ATI have both released much improved versions since then. If I were to do a Centri blower again, I would go inter-cooled regardless of who made the blower. PITA to install afterward, even with a kit.
So are you still running the KB?

I do dislike the fact that ProCharger takes up so much space on the drivers side. I knew they’ve been around for awhile same as Paxton but seems like at this time is either Vortech or going turbo setup. I haven’t checked back in on the KB setup from TPS but I have a strong feeling I’ll be going striker at some point down the line and not sure how well that KB is going to do. So I have a guy which I’m looking to buy the new heart from. He has two 93 cobras and a nice z06. So currently he has 2 dart 302 shp 8.2 blocks available as well as a sportsman. I am thinking about the shp and using it to stroke to a 331 or 347, he wanted 1895 originally for it and I old him cash in hand ready to pick up what’s the best deal and he said 1700 loaded in my truck. That seems like one hell of a deal. Then he came at with the motor he just had built for his red 93 cobra which is also another dart block base but it’s a 363, with eagle 4340 crank and rods, which was built by central Texas motorsports. He had it dyno’d but never placed in the car. He was asking 3850.
A0CE8F35-149D-4EFA-908C-C113721F39AB.jpeg

That's what my setup is and if you're looking for peak HP, you will be disappointed. The 2.1L KB will run out of breath at the top. Low to mids are outstanding and traction can be an issue.
No actually I think that’s perfect not looking to track the car and run high top end revs to get down the road. Just some fun street beast stuff where you need that exceleration in the low-mid range area. Are you running the blowzilla or the flowzilla? Sorry not to many guys I know running KB besides you and @FoxMustangLvr which I know he knew a guy running one on a 347 I believe.

No actually I think that’s perfect not looking to track the car and run high top end revs to get down the road. Just some fun street beast stuff where you need that exceleration in the low-mid range area. Are you running the blowzilla or the flowzilla? Sorry not to many guys I know running KB besides you and @FoxMustangLvr which I know he knew a guy running one on a 347 I believe.

I'm running the 2.1L Blowzilla/Flowzilla kit with the larger inlet. Dart sportsman stoker, TMoss ported lower, port matched blower outlet, 42lb injectors, 255L HP pump and BAP. Exhaust is Anderson FMS 1 5/8 unequal through a Bassani exhaust. Also have a 4 inch Anderson inlet going into the fender well. It made 480/560 and weighs a little over what a stock 86 weighs by maybe 50 lbs and scares the bajeus out of me.

It needs brakes and suspension work like... total overhaul and makes me sick to think about how long I've allowed it to sit. :(

Garaged at least but overdue for fuel and oil change.

Reactions: 1 users
MY buddy has a stock block 347 with AFR 185 heads and unknown can with a KB 2.2L at 6psi and it’s a frickin beast. I’m putting down 326rwhp and 396rwtq which feels awesome especially in cold weather which helps keep my IAT’s in check. Meth is your friend with KB’s and this blower is truly a replacement for displacement so pick your CID carefully or else you’ll just spin first through third gears.