Any Possible Guidance?

Spedyr6

Feb 28, 2016
This is going to be long, but I want to try to get as much info out on my issue before I throw in the towel and go back to the '96 Civic as my daily driver...got chills just typing that.

First off though, hi, I am new here. Been creeping and searching and it appears without some extra knowledge I don't possess yet, I am almost to the throw money and time (which I am running out of) at it until something works.

A few weeks ago I finally got my mom's old 1986 Capri that has been mostly sitting for the last 12 years with an occasional start and maybe trip around the block. As far as I know its stock internally and ran fine when they stopped driving it. My dad had changed the fuel pump, put on an offroad H pipe (no cats but o2 sensors still), changed the oil and filter and put on a new belt, bypassing the smog pump more recently before I got it. I put in a new battery, bled the brakes and was off and running. It had a few hundred rpm surge at idle but ran good. After taking it out more I discovered it would start cutting out and bogging around 2500 rpm. I figured at this point a tune up would work out the bugs, so new copper plugs, ford racing wires, msd cap and rotor, summit racing coil, fuel filter, some fuel system cleaner and air filter went on. I checked the pcv, but the one i was sold had 2 ports and a 90 degree bend instead of the single straight up in he car. It did seem fairly clean and rattled when I shook it. It seemed to smooth out, but I noticed it wasn't warming up and staying at a constant temp. I put in a mr. Gasket 180 thermostat to replace the nothing that was there. A test run got it up to the "O" in the normal on the factory gauge and it ran great.

A couple days later took it up some mountain highways to work and it started heating up higher to the middle of the gauge and cutting out and bogging around 2500 rpm and if I used more than about 1/8 throttle. I kept going and it got up to about 3/4 on the gauge so I pulled over and checked under the hood. I could hold my hand on the radiator cap, so I am not convinced it was as hot as it thought it was. It cooled back down on the gauge but the problems continued. It sat for the day and the problems were still there when I headed home.

Did some Internet research and pulled the codes today after the car sat for a few days coming up with 94 and 44 only. From what I gathered those are smog and shouldn't apply in my situation, but maybe I am wrong. I also pulled the rest of the smog off since it was halfway done and capped the vacuum line behind the intake. Even though the idle seems good, I pulled the IAC, cleaned it and put it back. I did a non safe vacuum leak test of spraying of starting fluid around and only got a slight hint of rpm jump around the egr. The fuel pressure was about 31-32 and vacuum was around 17 at idle. I took it back out today. First i noticed in neutral when i just blip the throttle, it has a half second hesitation before it revs up and going down the road a slight miss maybe every 15 seconds if i try to hold the rpms steady. It will pull like mad with no problems to 4000rpm, but once I hit some hills again, it started climbing on the temp gauge and the sputtering and bogging come back around 2500 rpm and more than 1/8 throttle or so. Today it decided to add a high idle around 1500 rpm that wasn't consistent after the problems came back. One stop sign it would drop to 700, another 1500 while still acting up in between.

I am starting to get discouraged and stressed over this one that should be simple. The '86 SVO on the side of the house is supposed to be the project. At 250 miles, I would assume it's not just cleaning out some crap from sitting and it's a legitimate problem. The idle isn't an issue until the "warming" and cutting out kick in. I would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on where I should go from here. Also if there is any other info that would be helpful that I missed in this wayyyyyy too long post.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I would also suggest swapping out your o2 sensors for new units. I've had them fail and not throw a code. It's not common but it happens and causes symptoms very similar to yours.

Jrichker, The code pull was running. Just did another round and here is what I got.
Key on, engine off, clutch in, in neutral: 81, 85, 82, 81, 85, 82 pause 1, 22, 63, 22, 63
Key on, engine on, clutch in, in neutral, engine cold: 4, engine stumbled, 1800 rpm, 1000 rpm, 1, 21, 94, 44, 21, 94, 44
Key on, engine on, clutch in, in neutral, at operating temp: 4, 1800 rpm, 1200 rpm, 94, 44, 94, 44
Balance test: 1500 rpm 9, 9

Stykthyn, would the O2's still come into play with no smog and no cats?

Absolutely. They tell the engine possibly more so than any other sensor what's going on. If they aren't giving a steady reading then the ecu is constantly trying to adjust by adjusting fuel.

Jrichker, The code pull was running. Just did another round and here is what I got.
Key on, engine off, clutch in, in neutral: 81, 85, 82, 81, 85, 82 pause 1, 22, 63, 22, 63
Key on, engine on, clutch in, in neutral, engine cold: 4, engine stumbled, 1800 rpm, 1000 rpm, 1, 21, 94, 44, 21, 94, 44
Key on, engine on, clutch in, in neutral, at operating temp: 4, 1800 rpm, 1200 rpm, 94, 44, 94, 44
Balance test: 1500 rpm 9, 9

Stykthyn, would the O2's still come into play with no smog and no cats?

Codes : 81, 85, 82, 81, 85, 82 are for emissions equipment which has probably ben tampered with .That is a very bad plan. The emissions equipment all shuts off at Wide Open Throttle and has almost ZERO effect on max performance.

MAP/BARO sensor operation and code 22

Revised 14-Nov-2014 to add wire colors for frequency & voltage testing and engine sensor wiring diagrams.

On a Speed Density car, the MAP/BARO sensor is connected to the intake manifold and acts to sense the manifold pressure. Lower vacuum inside the intake manifold when combined with more throttle opening measured by the TPS means more airflow through the engine. As airflow increases, fuel flow through the injectors needs to increase to keep the air/fuel ratio where it needs to be. When manifold vacuum increases, the engine is either decelerating or idling, and it needs to reduce the fuel flow through the injectors.

On a Mass Air car, the MAP/BARO sensor vents to open air and actually senses the barometric pressure due to changes in weather and altitude. Its purpose is to set a baseline for the computer to know the barometric pressure. As barometric pressure decreases, it leans out the fuel flow to compensate for less oxygen in the air. When the barometric pressure rises, it increases to add fuel since there is more oxygen in the air. The fuel requirements decrease as altitude increases, since the atmospheric pressure decreases.

Disconnecting the MAP or BARO sensor will set code 22.

Misconnecting the BARO sensor to vacuum on a Mass Air car will cause the computer to lean out the fuel mixture.

Code 22 or 126 MAP (vacuum) or BARO signal out of range. The MAP or BARO sensor is pretty much the same sensor for both Mass Air & Speed Density cars. The main difference is where it is connected. Mass Air cars vent it to the atmosphere, while Speed Density cars connect it to the intake manifold vacuum. Its purpose is to help set a baseline for the air/fuel mixture by sensing changes in barometric pressure. The MAP or BAP sensor puts out a 5 volt square wave that changes frequency with variations in atmospheric pressure. The base is 154 HZ at 29.92" of mercury - dry sunny day at sea level, about 68-72 degrees. You need an oscilloscope or frequency meter to measure it. There a very few DVM’s with a price tag under $40 that will measure frequency, but there are some out there.

Map sensor wiring:
black/white - ground
orange/white or +5 volts power
white/red signal out.

Measure the +5 volt supply using the orange/white and black/white wires
Measure the signal using the black/white and white/red wires.

The MAP/BARO sensor is mounted on the firewall behind the upper manifold on 86-93 Mustangs.

Baro or MAP test using a real frequency meter - run the test key on, engine off. The noise from the ignition system will likely upset the frequency meter. I used a 10 x oscilloscope probe connected from the frequency meter to the MAP/BAP to reduce the jitter in the meter's readout. And oscilloscope is very useful if you have access to one or know of someone who does. With an oscilloscope, you can see the waveform and amplitude.

If it is defective, your air/fuel ratio will be off and the car’s performance & emissions will suffer

Some basic checks you can make to be sure that the sensor is getting power & ground:
Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter.
Check the resistance between the black/white wire on the MAP/BARO sensor and then the black/white wire on the EGR and the same wire on the TPS. It should be less than 1 ohm. Next check the resistance between the black/white wire and the negative battery cable. It should be less than 1.5 ohm.

The following power on check requires you to turn the ignition switch to the Run position.
Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or EGR sensors. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316.gif

eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.88243.gif

Diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 91-93 Mass Air Mustangs
91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Code 63 - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low.

Revised 02-Jul-2009 to update TPS setting procedure & add 10 pin connector layout.

Vref missing (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer), bad connections or damaged wiring, TPS sensor failed, TPS sensor way out of adjustment. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the Orange wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the Orange wire on the EGR or MAP/Baro sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. If there is +5 volts on the MAP/Baro sensor, but not on the EGR, clean the #2 & #5 pin on the white 10 pin connector. If there is +5 volts on the EGR but not on the TPS, look for bad wiring inside the engine fuel injector harness.

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
?temp_hash=3ef2497fff29a7a9daee955cf93e5805.jpg

Setting the TPS voltage
You'll need a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

Always use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage.

Do the test with the ignition switch in the Run position without the engine running.

Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.
Setting the TPS: you'll need a good Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job. Set the TPS voltage at .5- 1.1 range. Because of the variables involved with the tolerances of both computer and DVM, I would shoot for somewhere between .6 and 1.0 volts. Unless you have a Fluke or other high grade DVM, the second digit past the decimal point on cheap DVM’s is probably fantasy.

Since the computer zeros out the TPS voltage every time it powers up, playing with the settings isn't an effective aid to performance or drivability. The main purpose of checking the TPS is to make sure it isn't way out of range and causing problems.

The Orange/White wire is the VREF 5 volts from the computer. You use the Dark Green/Lt green wire (TPS signal) and the Black/White wire (TPS ground) to set the TPS. Use a pair of safety pins to probe the TPS connector from the rear of the connector. You may find it a little difficult to make a good connection, but keep trying. Put the safety pins in the Dark Green/Lt green wire and Black/White wire. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Run position but the engine isn't running.

Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Dive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground.

The TPS is a variable resistor, much like the volume control knob on a cheap radio. We have all heard them crackle and pop when the volume is adjusted. The TPS sensor has the same problem: wear on the resistor element makes places that create electrical noise. This electrical noise confuses the computer, because it expects to see a smooth increase or decrease as the throttle is opened or closed.

TPS testing: most of the time a failed TPS will set code 23 or 63, but not always. Use either an analog meter or a DVM with an analog bar graph and connect the leads as instructed above. Turn the ignition switch to the Run position, but do not start the engine. Note the voltage with the throttle closed. Slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage increase smoothly, slowly close the throttle and watch the voltage decrease smoothly. If the voltage jumps around and isn’t smooth, the TPS has some worn places in the resistor element. When the throttle is closed, make sure that the voltage is the same as what it was when you started. If it varies more than 10%, the TPS is suspect of being worn in the idle range of its travel.

Code 21 – ECT sensor out of range. Broken or damaged wiring, bad ECT sensor.
Note that that if the outside air temp is below 50 degrees F that the test for the ECT can be in error. Warm the engine up until you get good hot air from the heater and then dump the codes again.

The computer Engine Coolant Temperature sensor has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature gauge. They are different animals. The ECT sensor is normally located it the passenger side front of the engine in the water feed tubes for the heater. It has two wires that connect by a weathertight plastic connector.

The water temperature sender for the temp gauge is located in the driver's side lower intake manifold. It has a single wire that connects by a push on connector on the temp sender.
The ACT & ECT have the same thermistor, so the table values are the same

ACT & ECT test data:

Use Pin 46 on the computer for ground for both ECT & ACT to get most accurate readings.

Pin 7 on the computer - ECT signal in. At 176 degrees F it should be .80 volts

Pin 25 on the computer - ACT signal in. At 50 degrees F it should be 3.5 volts. It is a good number if the ACT is mounted in the inlet airbox. If it is mounted in the lower intake manifold, the voltage readings will be lower because of the heat transfer.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316.gif

Voltages may be measured across the ECT/ACT by probing the connector from the rear. A pair of safety pins may be helpful in doing this. Use care in doing it so that you don't damage the wiring or connector.

Here's the table :

50 degrees F = 3.52 v
68 degrees F = 3.02 v
86 degrees F = 2.62 v
104 degrees F = 2.16 v
122 degrees F = 1.72 v
140 degrees F = 1.35 v
158 degrees F = 1.04 v
176 degrees F = .80 v
194 degrees F = .61
212 degrees F = .47 v
230 degrees F = .36 v
248 degrees F = .28 v

Ohms measures at the computer with the computer disconnected, or at the sensor with the sensor disconnected.

50 degrees F = 58.75 K ohms
68 degrees F = 37.30 K ohms
86 degrees F = 27.27 K ohms
104 degrees F = 16.15 K ohms
122 degrees F = 10.97 K ohms
140 degrees F = 7.60 K ohms
158 degrees F = 5.37 K ohms
176 degrees F = 3.84 K ohms
194 degrees F = 2.80 K ohms
212 degrees F = 2.07 K ohms
230 degrees F = 1.55 K ohms
248 degrees F = 1.18 k ohms

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds
(website host) for help on 88-95 wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

Codes 44 & 94 - AIR system inoperative - Air Injection. Check vacuum lines for leaks, & cracks. Check for a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon.

attachment.php

Revised 21 Sep 2012 to correct the description of the process that sets the code and include Thermactor Air System diagram.

If you have a catalytic converter H pipe, you need to fix these codes. If you don't, then don't worry about them.

Code 44 RH side air not functioning.
Code 94 LH side air not functioning.

The TAD solenoid/TAD diverter valve directs smog pump output to either the crossover tube attached to the cylinder heads or to the catalytic converters.

The O2 sensors are placed before the catalytic converters, so they do not see the extra O2 when the smog pump's output is directed to the converters or the input just before the converter.

The 44/94 code uses the O2 sensors to detect a shift in the O2 level in the exhaust. The smog pump provides extra air to the exhaust which raises the O2 level in the exhaust when the smog pump output is directed through the crossover tube.

When there is an absence of increase in the O2 levels when the TAD solenoid/TAD diverter valve directs air through the crossover tube, it detects the lower O2 level and sets the code.

Failure mode is usually due to a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon. The air crossover tube mounts on the back of the cylinder heads and supplies air to each of the Thermactor air passages cast into the cylinder heads. When the heads do not get the proper air delivery, they set codes 44 & 94, depending on which passage is clogged. It is possible to get both 44 & 94, which would suggest that the air pump or control valves are not working correctly, or the crossover tube is full of carbon or missing.

Testing the system:
Note that the engine must be running to do the tests unless stated otherwise. For safety’s sake, do test preparation like loosening clamps, disconnecting hoses and connecting things to a vacuum source with the engine off.

Disconnect the big hose from smog pump: with the engine running you should feel air output. Reconnect the smog pump hose & apply vacuum to the first vacuum controlled valve: Its purpose is to either dump the pump's output to the atmosphere or pass it to the next valve.

The next vacuum controlled valve directs the air to either the cylinder heads when the engine is cold or to the catalytic converter when the engine is warm. Disconnect the big hoses from the back side of the vacuum controlled valve and start the engine. Apply vacuum to the valve and see if the airflow changes from one hose to the next.

The two electrical controlled vacuum valves mounted on the rear of the passenger side wheel well turn the vacuum on & off under computer control. Check to see that both valves have +12 volts on the red wire. Then ground the white/red wire and the first solenoid should open and pass vacuum. Do the same thing to the light green/black wire on the second solenoid and it should open and pass vacuum.

Remember that the computer does not source power for any actuator or relay, but provides the ground necessary to complete the circuit. That means one side of the circuit will always be hot, and the other side will go to ground or below 1 volt as the computer switches on that circuit.

The following computer tests are done with the engine not running.
The computer provides the ground to complete the circuit to power the solenoid valve that turns the
vacuum on or off. The computer is located under the passenger side kick panel. Remove the kick panel & the cover over the computer wiring connector pins. Check Pin 38 Solenoid valve #1 that provides vacuum to the first Thermactor control valve for a switch from 12-14 volts to 1 volt or less. Do the same with pin 32 solenoid valve #2 that provides vacuum to the second Thermactor control valve. Turning the ignition to Run with the computer jumpered to self-test mode will cause all the actuators to toggle on and off. If after doing this and you see no switching of the voltage on and off, you can start testing the wiring for shorts to ground and broken wiring. An Ohm check to ground with the computer connector disconnected & the solenoid valves disconnected should show open circuit between the pin 32 and ground and again on pin 38 and ground. In like manner, there should be less than 1 ohm between pin 32 and solenoid valve #2 and pin 38 & Solenoid valve #1.

The following computer tests are done with the engine running.
If after checking the resistance of the wiring & you are sure that there are no wiring faults, start looking at the solenoid valves. If you disconnect them, you can jumper power & ground to them to verify operation with the engine running. Power & ground supplied should turn on the vacuum flow, remove either one and the vacuum should stop flowing.

Typical resistance of the solenoid valves is in the range of 20-70 Ohms.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

If you have a catalytic converter H pipe, you need to fix these codes. If you don't, then don't worry about them[/b]

Thank you for the info.
The emissions was half bypassed and pulled when I got it, so I just finished it instead of leaving it to be in the way. I do have the parts I pulled, but not what was already missing.
From your info, I ignore the 81, 85, 82 and 94 and 44 due to no cats.
Would the 22, 63 or 21 possibly give me my problems?
From reading I think I had disconnected the BARO by accident when I did the rest of the smog since one of the vacuum lines t'd off that way, but I reconnected it when I found out the car wasn't running right when I disconnected it. Think it's still a problem or would the computer have cleared this code on a restart?
The 21 goes away when the codes are pulled when it's warm, so is this an issue still?
That leaves the 63 TPS which I assume is a more likely problem right?
For reference, what is the difference between the running and not codes? I mainly ask since I get 613 when it's off but not when it's running.
Also, still think the O2 could come into play?

I honestly have no clue on the timing. I had figured that if it ran good before it was parked for years and the timing wasnt changed, it would still be fine. I will add that to the other items I need to check out per the codes and helpful info provided.
When I changed the thermostat, I filled up the radiator and let it run with the cap off until things started flowing, squeezed the upper hose a few times to try to push out any extra air, then topped it off again before putting the cap on and letting it run for a while. The next day I popped the cap to make sure it was still at the top before I started it. The whole time I also made sure the overflow bottle was at the right level. Anyhting I should try different to make sure there isnt any air in there?
Also thank you for the input.

A couple of simple things first.

Question? are you still driving the car with the old gasoline that has been sitting in the tank?
If so, completely drain the tank and put some fresh gas in it.

The MAP code 22 is a definite, need to fix it problem. Clear the codes using the directions that came with your code scanner or disconnect the test jumper when it starts to dump the codes. Drive the car again several times and see if the code 22 comes back. If it does, troubleshoot the wiring first and replace the sensor last; They are expensive if you buy one from the auto parts store.

Since your problem only occurs under load, it is possible that you have either a low fuel pressure problem or insufficient spark.

1.) Check the grounds.The secondary power ground is between the back of the intake manifold and the driver's side firewall. It is often missing or loose. It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges. The clue to a bad ground here is that the temp gauge goes up as you add electrical load such as heater, lights and A/C. You said that the gauge showed hot but the radiator cap didn't feel that hot, this is a possible clue.

2.) Have the charging system checked, most auto parts store will do this for free.

3.) Check the fuel pressure, most auto parts stores will rent or loan a fuel pressure test gauge.
Disconnect the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator. Check it for evidence of fuel present in the line by removing it and blowing air through it. If you find fuel, the fuel pressure regulator has failed. Reinstall the line; leave the fuel pressure regulator end of the vacuum line disconnected. Then cap or plug the open end of the vacuum line and stow it out of the way.
Connect the fuel pressure test gauge to the Schrader port located just behind the alternator.
Turn the ignition switch on & start the engine. Observe the pressure: you should see 37-41 PSI at idle.
Turn the ignition off; reconnect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Then disconnect the fuel pressure test gauge. Watch out for squirting gas when you do this.

4.) Remove the distributor cap and look for traces of moisture or jumping spark. Some WD40 sprayed inside and then wiped out will help displace any moisture.

Jrichker,
I was told the tank was drained and cleaned when the new pump was put in. It was empty when I got it and I ran one tank through it and then changed the fuel filter and am about half way though the second tank. I also added one bottle of fuel system cleaner, for what thats worth.
The fuel pressure was at 30psi when I checked it at the valve at the back of the passenger rail, but I didnt know about the vacuum line, so I will have to retest this one as described.
The distributor cap is new, but I assume it could still fail.
I wont be able to mess with the car until Sunday, but I will attempt all of the things listed above and report back. Also I think I stumbled into the headlight upgrade & relay issue by accident and will need to tackle that issue once the thing runs correctly.
Thanks again.

An update:
-Checked the pcv again and made sure the screen was clean.
-checked the grounds and added one from the negative battery cable to the inner fend next to the washer bottle where the computer grounds to. Theo one on the back of the motor to firewall was tight.
-Checked the timing, was at 10 and I moved to 13, with the spout out. I did put it back after.
-Let it run and warm up again with the radiator cap off until it was flowing and topped it off to try to get more air out.
-Noted with it warmed and coolant flowing the thermostat housing was reading around 160 on my laser thermometer.
-Did another fuel pressure test and it was 31 with vacuum and 39-40 with it off.
-Checked the inside of the distributor cap, it looked good and dry,but did the little bit of wiped out wd40 as suggested to be safe.
-Tested the TPS. 5v to it and adjusted from 1.1 down to .9 out per instructions.
- Ended up replacing the egr valve vacuum control due to a vacuum line connection cracking.
-as far as charging system, checked across the negative and positive and voltage was around 14.5 while running.
- cleared the codes where I was only getting 81, 85 & 82 off and 94 & 44 running.

I took it for a drive and it was all good going up the same mountain highway, stock temp gauge was on the O in NORMAL. It started to get a little warm moving between R and M but still ran fine. I got to the top and checked the engine with my laser thermometer and the same spoton the front of the thermostat housing was at 200. Headed back down with it still running good. Turned around at the bottom to go up again and it started cutting out like before. Drove it home cutting out with any throttle over a what I would say is about 1/8th. When I would try more it would feel like the engine was being completely cut off, but wouldn't die. I got home and immediately checked the fuel pressure again getting the same 31 and 39. Ran the codes again and also got the same numbers of 81, 85, 82 not running and 94, 44 runing. No new codes.

The only thing that was mentioned that I didn't do (unless I missed a suggestion) was replace the O2 sensors.

Any other thoughts after this update?

Thanks again.

Ok so we've ruled out fuel if you checked pressure before and after the event. Let's talk spark. When you replaced the distributor did you swap over the old tfi or did it come with one?

I actually never replaced the distributor, just the wires, cap and rotor. Also installed a new coil. Thd cap and eotor were an MSD replacement for stock, so maybe thats the confusion.
I should also note after I retested when I got back home, I took it down the road again and it was running normal.

You don't seem to be throwing a code for it, but it sounds like a dead ringer for the tfi module. Car breaks up when hot but acts normal when cold.

Reactions: 1 user
The PIP sensor and TFI are two common problems that happen with a warm engine but not with a cold engine. They are both suspect in your case.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I can find, testing the TFI is only conclusive if its working or not, not like my situation. Also there is lots of info out there saying they allow the motor to work or not, again, not like my issue. Then again, others say it can be like my issue or worse as you guys are suggesting. Got to love the internet.
I didnt have the chance to look into the PIP yet, but again, a whole new dist. might be easier.
Anyway any input on TFI brands to get or not since there is a lot of few years old info. on this? In the past Motorcraft was the only way to go, then MSD seems to make a better one than they used to, read BWD makes the Ford ones anyway, summit racing is local (kind of) to get their store brand, autozones duralast...etc?
I am actually trying to get a used one to try, possibly whole dist. set up to see if that fixes the issue, but may end up needing to just buy a new TFI. If it does work, will then look into the relocation kits offered online.