Any reasons to keep 5.0 after 4.6l buy?

American_Muscle

May 9, 2005
Hey guys,

I'll be buying a 99-up gt this summer.
I just love the body style and power etc. I've always wanted one.

My 5.0 is pretty much stock except for suspension and exhaust.

I'm not sure if the 5.0 is worth keeping.
I'll already have the power with the 99-up 4.6l.

The only reason I can think of is the cheap mod parts like superchargers etc.

I'd like a car with boost and SC's for the newer stangs are so darn expensive.

I know there have been so many threads like this lately but some guy is coming to look at the stang on Monday and once it's gone, it's gone.

With me being stationed in Europe it'll be hard to find another fox.

Maybe it's because I've never driven a modded fox. Just stock.

Guys help me out! :-(
I need some 5.0 therapy.

Patrick

• Sponsors (?)

It would be completely selfish to keep it. that dude above me ^^^ has been known to try and take advantage of stang owners, so you should give it to someone like me, and ill make sure every part i need errrr every part on it is distributed accordingly :D

Don't sell it.

Keep both.

Here's why. The power of the 99+ is nice and all, but mods are EXPENSIVE. Seriously for every mod you do to the 4.6L, you can pay for 2 mods for the 5.0.

I have an '03 GT and an '88 5.0. I've had the '03 for 2 years now and the desire to mod it has faded. It's stock and staying that way simply because i can throw money at the fox and get more of a result.

Of course, the 6-disk stereo, leather seats, ABS and all the other "new car" treats are nice, but when it all comes down to which car i'd love to romp around in, it's the fox.

I got more attention in my 5.0 hands down. You just don't see them as often so it's becoming sort of "classic" to drive around in one. I see at least 10 99+ a day so it's pretty common.

I own both for a reason, but i'm never selling the Fox

Mustang5L5:

You were the person I had in mind when I wrote this post.
I had forgotten your board name or else I would've mentioned it.
I remember you having a 5.0 and 4.6.

I wanted to see if the 5.0 was still desirable once you made the transition.

Sounds like it is. :SNSign:

The different prices when it comes to mods is just rediculous.

Superchargers are like 1/4 of the price for a 5.0.

i drive my cousins 99 GT quite often, and i have 0 desire to own one. I do like the top end pull goosing it on the highway. Obviously the amenities are okay, but i would NOT buy a mustang if i wanted comfort as a second car. Not sure what it is, but my cousins 99 gt and another cousins 94 GT both feel like snails, compared to mine. Granted both of theirs are completely stock(they are wuss' and know nothing about their cars :p), but after my 331 it wont even be a comparison. Neither put a smile onmy face like the fox does. my systems louder, car is faster, turns more heads and people appreciate it at car shows. try that with a 99 or newer thats not modded. :rolleyes:

This is what I'm talking about!
People speaking from first-hand experience.

I need to test-drive a 99-up gt asap to make sure this is even what I want.

It won't really be a comfort car, but rather a weekend cruiser.
I really wanted a gt convertible.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
The 5.0 guys speak their minds.:SNSign:

American_Muscle said:
Mustang5L5:

You were the person I had in mind when I wrote this post.
I had forgotten your board name or else I would've mentioned it.
I remember you having a 5.0 and 4.6.

I wanted to see if the 5.0 was still desirable once you made the transition.

Sounds like it is. :SNSign:

The different prices when it comes to mods is just rediculous.

Superchargers are like 1/4 of the price for a 5.0.

Yes, mods are rediculous. It makes deciding which to mod very difficult. I've done a few things to my '03 GT - a shifter, mach 1 chin spoiler and grill delete and a cat-back exhaust...things i'd consider the basics. However, when it came time for more serious mods it was tough to decide. A plenum and throttle body for the 4.6L would have run me about 600ish, and given me 10-15HP. A little bit more could buy me a nice set of aluminum heads for the 5.0, and would give me a bigger bump. It was stuff like that really that turned me away from modding the 4.6L. I could play with expensive bolt ons on the 4.6L or really get serious with the 5.0. Hell, you can buy entire short blocks for the 5.0 for $1500ish!

Don't get me wrong. I love my '03GT. Like I said there are reasons why i like both. My GT is a commuter car pure and simple. Ice cold A/C, a good stereo, leather, ABS, all that good stuff. The car LOVES the highway with the stock 3.27's. You get it in 4th gear at 3000RPM and can instantly go from 75MPH to 90MPH just by rolling on the gas and it will do it while feeling rock solid and quiet. Toss it in 5th gear and at 75MPH you are only doing 1900RPM. I absolutely LOVE going on highway trips with it because of the ease it drives at high speed. My 5.0, with it's 3.73's, sounds like all hell is breaking loose at 75MPH.

But you can't compare a 3 year old modern car to an 18 year old car in terms of rattles, creaks and other issues like that.

When it all comes down to it, on a sunday afternoon, i'd rather be inside the garage wrenching on the 5.0 while the 4.6L sits in the driveway gleaming and all shiny from a fresh wash.

PS. I ran a 14.1 in the GT bone stock.

a 4.6 is more to mod then a 5.0, a 4v isint as bad though. if you want to make power with a 2v, just keep the 5.0 for that.

if you have only driven a stock 5.0, the pi 4.6 will feel fast to you. maybe not down low, but past 3500 they wake up. i went from a modded fox, to a 2000 gt. i had the car 3 months and felt a huge loss in the power area. the rest of the car is awesome though.

given that, if you want a little more power and a more modern car. then just get the gt. if you want to build a fast car keep the fox. only way to know is to drive one.

I sold my 92 GT and bought a brand new GT in 02, the 02 was great for looks, awesome Mach 1000 Stereo, Ice Cold A/C great mileage on the highway. But when it really came down to it the car just did not have enough nasty to it. It really did not have much torque down below 4 grand, I ended up tracking down the guy that bought my 92 GT and got it back. I think what really did it was my G/F really liked the 02 and thought it was pretty and the clutch was easy, but she is scared to death of my 92, so that in itself says something!

I have both...

01 GT
Stock with everything but the kitchen sink... nice to drive a car and everything works :) GREAT on top end.

89 GT
Will blow 01GT's doors apart and choke slam its mamma with stock heads with authority beeyatcha. Nothing works.