Anybody Ever Cut A Fuel Pump Access Panel?

• Sponsors (?)

I did it years ago and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. You'd think I desecrated a church for all the :poo: I got for it, which always makes me chuckle when I have the fuel pump in my hand in about 3 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Dropping the tank doesn't take that long to do. I wouldn't cut a hole in my floor just to access the fuel pump. Whats the point? Are you changing your fuels pumps out a couple times a year? Probably not, I see no need to do that.

Pffftt. Dropping the tank just to get to a fuel pump?
20170824_183431_zps1ctslsip-jpg.589357.jpg

One of the single best things I've done is cut a hole in the trunk floor to allow access to the pump. If the car is stock, it's one thing,...the pump rarely needs attention, but add some power, and a 190 lph pump gives way to a 255, that gets replaced for a 340 unit once a turbo and big injectors start entering the pic.

Who in the hell wants to drain the tank, and fight it off of the filler neck, when you can remove ten screws and be done?

20170921_134847_zpsmwy828r1-jpg.589613.jpg

And once I carpet this trunk,...whose gonna know what's under that?

If you have the mindset to do the job, making it seal to the trunk floor, look like you actually put some thought into it, not a hack job with a coffee can cover I'd say it's not a bad Idea, like mike said, makes future mods easier.

When I think of people doing this, I think of the people who also cut a whole in there firewall to change out there heater core..
And if there was a way to make an access panel look good, I'd do that.
For the same reasons, and maybe even more, if I had a stock heater core and was faced with having to replace it, and have to remove the whole damn dash to to it, there'd be a plated cover on that side of the firewall too.

Oh wait,.........I just remembered,....I've already done that before too.

mustangbuild358_zpsjtfyuwcm-jpg.599790.jpg

You make it look good, and well thought out. I'd have no problem with a nicely trimmed access hole like the one you posted.

But typically when I hear "cut hole in floor for fuel pump access" my mind immediately goes to something like this.
1487544020-CUTTING-THE-ROOF-OFF-MY-CAR!.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Did that video scare the crap out anyone else or was it just me? Sparks and fuel vapor always make me nervous.
I'm not adverse to it though, I thought about doing it years ago when I upgraded the stock pump
but went the drain and drop route.

Did it in two different 240sx's and in my 90. Never understood why people think it's so bad. If done correctly you can't even tell.

I will be doing this in a few weeks. and posting some pictures. I dont think its a very bad idea at all especially while running aftermarket pumps and ive already pulled my tank 2 times to replace tank and pump over the years.

I will be doing this in a few weeks. and posting some pictures. I dont think its a very bad idea at all especially while running aftermarket pumps and ive already pulled my tank 2 times to replace tank and pump over the years.

Foxbody tank is simple to drop and r&r a pump, there should really be no need to cut up your hatch area for that but it's your car. If you want to pull year hair out own a s10 or in my case a gmc syclone. You have to pull the bed completely off the frame in order to get to the top of the tank and pump etc.

Foxbody tank is simple to drop and r&r a pump, there should really be no need to cut up your hatch area for that but it's your car. If you want to pull year hair out own a s10 or in my case a gmc syclone. You have to pull the bed completely off the frame in order to get to the top of the tank and pump etc.

I know what you mean on that ive actually done one on my fathers s10 a few years ago.