Anybody have info or opinion re Mustang Dreams locating service?

• Sponsors (?)

KnownRider said:
As I implied, I am a rip-off artist's dream and would not know what to look for as far as many engine problems etc. It is worth it to me to lay out some cash for a less-problematic, rust-free Stang.

I had the same lack of Mustang knowledge as you when I purchased my first Mustang so I decided to go with a puchase from a professional Classic Mustang dealership. I bought my car from K.A.R Mustang in Columbus OH and the integrity and condition of the 1966 GT fastback I bought was first class, as was K.A.R's committment to honesty and service during the sale. George Waydo is the father of ReenMachine who contributes on these forums, I recommend George and his business highly. They always have a range of classic mustangs for sale on their web site, and offer parts and servicing. They have a website, if you're interested google KAR mustang.

I wouldn't do it, but that's just my opinion. I think 12% commission is way too much. Mustangs are pretty simple cars, and spotting a problem is rather easy. I suggest you buy a restoration guide, appraisal guide, and attend a few local car shows before you buy anything. This forum is filled with knowledgeable individuals that will tell you exactly what to look for in a Mustang. Tell us what kind of car you are interested in, and I'm sure someone will know where one is. When I buy a car I look for one that's original or a restored numbers matching. All you have to do is investigate what an original car looks like, and then determine what has been modified from there. If you are looking to buy a show car, where every part must have a particular code on it, than a service like that would be useful. But if you intend on simply buying a restored "average" mustang, than I think you should investigate yourself. Not to mention the fact that a service like that takes all the fun out of the buying process.

My feeling is that if you don't know enough about the car that the wool could be pulled over your eyes then you also don't know enough on how to fix things yourself either, that means you will aslo be a mechanic's dream as well. I do not care how good of a car you buy to start, the gremlins will attack and things will go wrong eventually. This can make for a a very bad and frustrating experience as a new owner instead of a pleasurable experience. These are about the easiest cars you could learn on.

Since you need to buy a good car, how were you planning on payig for it? If anything other than cold cash, I would reccomend you check out www.jjbest.com the reason I suggest that is part of their loan service is to go out and inspect the car for you prior to purchase as it must be worth the asking price to secure against the loan you take. It's simple interest so you can pay it of as soon as you want with no penalties, but the car review service is essentially free, you just have to find the car.

My first suggestion however is going out to a bookstore and read up on Mustangs if you want to read for free that is, or start buying the books for reference material. If you know the specific make and model it will be that much easier just learning about them to start instead of all the classic models. The point to this is even if you don't really know everything still, you can ask the right questions. If you at least sound like you know it people usually won't try to fool you. Also, that is what we are here for basicaly, to tell you what we think of pictures you take, decode vin and door tag data for you and eventually help you trouble shoot the problems.

Do yourself a favor and start on the right foot here, you are not alone in this so unless you are filthy rich, if you truly love the idea of owning one of these cars then take some time to learn about it.

Good luck!!! :flag:

KnownRider said:
As I implied, I am a rip-off artist's dream and would not know what to look for as far as many engine problems etc. It is worth it to me to lay out some cash for a less-problematic, rust-free Stang.

You and I both on points one and two. I found cars on those sites, went to www.yellowpages.com, and selected mechanics who were close to the seller. My first question was always, do you know "Joey Jo-Jo Jim Bob?" If they said no, then I asked if they took credit cards. If yes, I have them would inspect a car for me. Each mechanic I dealt with was a straight shooter. The biggest rip off artists in the world are these sock stuffers at

Automobile Inspections, LLC
Box 231171
Old State House Square
Hartford, CT 06123-1171 USA
Tel: 860 456 4048 Fax: 860 423 6260
Web: www.AutomobileInspections.com

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't running a Nigerian 419 scam on the side.

So anyways, I had 6 cars inspected using my yellowpages.com method and passed on 5 of them. I took the 6th and I did just fine. Before instructing the mechanic, I came here and asked what kinds of things I should be looking for. The learned folks here all chimed in and I made a list to give to the mechanic.

My feeling is that if you don't know enough about the car that the wool could be pulled over your eyes then you also don't know enough on how to fix things yourself either, that means you will aslo be a mechanic's dream as well.

And you would be correct.

But luckilly I have a very, very honest mechanic who also happens to be my best friend's older brother. However, he does not have the time to go and inspect Ponies with me. Hence the need for some kind of guidance.

Once I have one, I will follow the maintenance schedule rigorously and do what it takes to keep it in pristine condition. And I will begin to learn how things tick, but I am under no pretence that I can match the guys on this site.

Ok well to each his own. It's great to know an honest mechanic and all, but once you have paid $50 to $65 an hour for labor and had the car towed from your driveway or a destination unknown to the shop a few times you'll see how quickly you'll be nickeled and dimed to death, just fair warning. These are hobby cars plain and simple, they require constant tinkering, the more you drive it, the more you have to tinker. Thus the old saying, crawl before you walk before you run. I wish you the best of luck but remember sometimes having is not as good as wanting. Ever wonder why alot of cars for sale say "owner lost interest"? That's why. Getting the car is the easy part so it shouldn't be the first part, that's all just IMHO though. It usually only takes one bad experience to make a new comer sour on the experience and we need new blood in this hobby all the time.

Again, Good luck, I hope the Mustang Gods smile upon you!

Now Pakrat

Why didnt you sit me down and give me that lesson befroe I bought my first mustang. Now I am looking for a 2 mustang and still working on my first one. if somone smacked me in the head before I bought the first one I would have a lot more money in my pocket. LOL

These are hobby cars plain and simple, they require constant tinkering, the more you drive it, the more you have to tinker.

I hear you bro. But I need something to learn on, right? Better to start from a position of strength.

I've wanted a Stang since I was 14. While I am hardly a rich man, I am now at a point in life where I can afford to deal with one and the hangups you describe.

:nice: :notnice: if you need one looked at and get a honest opinion on it in the east tn area let me know would gladly take a look for you . stopped and looked at two of them at a classic car lot for a friend of mine over the weekend and had to :rlaugh: my way off the lot. high dollar cars with terrible wormanship . gotta love the hacks out there .

69 Capecod said:
Now Pakrat

Why didnt you sit me down and give me that lesson befroe I bought my first mustang. Now I am looking for a 2 mustang and still working on my first one. if somone smacked me in the head before I bought the first one I would have a lot more money in my pocket. LOL

Lol, hey man, I didn't know you BEFORE you got the stang, lol.

Knownrider, I can totally appreciate that and as I said, to each his own, we all have different methods of how we learn, I am speaking from experience though. I wanted my car since I was 16, it took me 16 more years before I got it though, that was not due to a lack of means either, it was the paitent plan to be sure my hard earned money went to the RIGHT car, not just A car. When I was finally finacially set I spent almost a year educating myslef on the ins and outs, getting to know those in local clubs, offering my assitance to work with them on their cars so I could learn first hand. I then looked at several dozen cars over the next year or so within my price range before finally finding the right one 1500 miles away. I still cringe at some of the cars I might have and almost ended up with for the same price as my San Hose rust free 46k original mile car that I own today.

I know the want, believe me I know. I also know that anything truly important is worth doing right. No one honest or not will ever treat your car with the same care you will, that is just a fact.

Does anyone remember that horror story about the red convertible a guy wanted so bad and bought and what actually got delivered? I thought I remembered it being on the KAR sight but I can't find it.

Anyway I'm done, not trying to be preachy really, I just hate seeing people with passion for the hobby getting disappointed and frustrated in the end. This hobby can be your best friend and worst enemy at the same instance. We get folks here all the time that spend gobs of money replacing all types of parts on their cars, they have the will and the common sense to turn a wrench but are unknowing what the cause of the problem might be and probably could have fixed it free and in minutes. The loose battery ground is one perfect example.

Again, good luck and I hope you turn up with a winner. The board will always be here to help. :cheers:

Anyway I'm done, not trying to be preachy really, I just hate seeing people with passion for the hobby getting disappointed and frustrated in the end.

Hey no worries bro. I appreciate the advice and you bring up many valid points. Rest assured that this is not some notion I cooked up yesterday over a bottle of Jack. I have actually looked at many cars over the years and did know enough NOT to buy them. Using a service is merely a thought as to how to save some time, nothing more really. And I resisted actually moving to buy one until I had the funds for a really good one plus a proper garage. I also failed to mention that my uncle down the road is an ace at restoring classic cars.

Its a committment and one that I finally have the resources to undertake.

Thanks again!