Anybody Running 4 link rear suspension on '66?

c24sc

Jan 1, 2008
Hey guys,

Well, still doing sheet metal work to my '66, but have been noticing more and more 4 link rear suspensions that are available. I was looking at the heidts 4 link w/coilovers. Other then looking cool, is the performance that much better from a 4 link? I'm guessing less wheel hop. The height adjustability is nice.

Comments/input welcome!

64-1/2 - 70 Mustang Bolt-In Rear 4-Link Kit

Nate

• Sponsors (?)

to say a four link is better than the original leaf spring suspension is hard to say. the four link is more adjustable than the leaf, but the leaf does all the things a four link does without the added parts. you dont need a panhard bar or watts link with a leaf spring. you also have more room for exhaust systems with the leafs. well set up both will work just fine.

to say a four link is better than the original leaf spring suspension is hard to say. the four link is more adjustable than the leaf, but the leaf does all the things a four link does without the added parts. you dont need a panhard bar or watts link with a leaf spring. you also have more room for exhaust systems with the leafs. well set up both will work just fine.

A leaf spring does all the things a 4 link does? If your definition of 'everything' means it holds the rear under the car and lets you drive it....then sure....otherwise....no they do not.

i'm in the process of installing one, i have the crossmember, subframe connectors, and rear frame rails in, but have not installed any of the suspension components yet, this isn't a bolt one one though, it's a universal fit four link back half thing from chris alston chassisworks.
matt

Would consider another 4 link option
If you decide on it anyways, get the upraded shocks. Otherwise the car will bounce in the rear. Then they will tell you you can return the shocks for an upgrade, then change their mind

Other then looking cool, is the performance that much better from a 4 link? I'm guessing less wheel hop.

If eliminating wheel hop is what you are after, a set of Traction Master™ bars will do that, for WAY less than a 4-link suspension. Oddly, they also make the rear end ride smoother, by reducing axle twist over bumps. Don't get the fake ones, the originals are made much better.

IMO a 4 link is a waste of time. If you are going through all that trouble to convert from leaf to something else I would either put a 3 link in or an IRS.

That being said, I think a leaf setup is very compitent and you can get all the performance you need out of a leaf setup for a daily driver or even a track car.

im going to build my own 3link.

I dont really like the design of the heidts 4link. It has really short arms and its not a tru drag race 4link. I looks like it would have lots of bind. A really well set up leaf will work great or better than heidts. But heidts has the cool factor. spend the money in shocks for your leafs, some nice double adjustables. I like my afcos i have i the front.