Anyone else gotten the 'thumbs up?'

Keep it civil guys or the thread will be closed.

Again, I will re-state. I'm not saying there are no V6 owners that are enthusiasts. My 90% calculation is not a fact, nor did I state it as such. It is my observation. It's probably higher than that, in my assessment. I am not being a snob. I respect V6 enthusiasts just as I do GT enthusiasts or any others. I'm just making observations which I find to hold true in my personal experiences. I honestly doubt even 1 out of 10 V6 owners are enthusiasts. I'll give you my reasons, but again, these are not facts, just general observations.

1) V6 owners tend to be young. Many under 21 and most under 30. There are several reasons that these owners tend to go with V6's. Insurance, MSRP, and status being most of it. As stated above, a lot of these pups aren't enthusiasts, but rather just like saying they have a Mustang. Perceived fuel economy is part as well. You'll notice I say perceived, because in reality, most V6 owners only see a 2-3MPG savings. After modifications, I see better gas mileage than most stock V6's.

2) As mentioned, go to any car show and count the number of V6's you see. I know around here, I am lucky to see 1 or 2. Same goes with the interweb. Go to any Mustang forum and see how many V6 owners there are. Forums are where the new age enthusiasts hang. Even out of the enthusiasts that hang out on these boards, the great majority are GT trim or higher. And that's a cross section of the enthusiasts, not the general population.

3) The majority of enthusiasts spend the money for the higher trim levels. To these people, anything other than a V8 is not a Mustang. That's not saying they look down upon V6 owners, but they would find it pointless to personally drive a Mustang if it's not a V8. To the owners in this category, buying a V6 Mustang is like buying a house in a bad neighborhood. They'd rather rent an apartment and buy a house in a good neighborhood when they can afford it, than buy a house in a bad neighborhood.

4) GT's and higher just look better. That is of course complete opinion. But the higher trim levels have larger wheels, better leather, more aggressive fascias, color keyed rocker moldings, etc etc etc... While this is an opinion, it is shared by most, and thus the reason many V6 enthusiasts upgrade to the GT and higher fascias. The same reason GT owners upgrade the GT500 fascias.

5) Performance. There's no comparison here. While the S197 V6 is the most powerful V6 ever, so is the GT. 8.8" rear end, 31 spline axles, better suspension, 300HP and 320 ft/lbs torque, larger aftermarket following, and ability to create even more power. The list there keeps going.

People tend to defend their purchase. It doesn't matter what the purchase is. From cell phones, to televisions, to cars, houses, etc... Ask anyone what they think of their cell phones service, and what they think of a competing company, and most will say theirs is the best. Ask a AT&T customer what they think of Verizon and they'll say their garbage (and vice versa). Ask a Spring customer what they think of US Cellular or T-Mobile. Same thing. Tell someone who just bought a Samsung TV that they should have bought a Sharp or that Samsung sucks and see what they say. It's human. So I understand why you feel the need to defend your purchase of a V6. But you were not under attack there was no need to defend yourself. I don't think anyone on these boards that regularly posts is not an enthusiast. You are in the 10 or less percent of V6 owners that are enthusiasts. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Sponsors (?)

DarkFire...

Well said, sir.

I completely AGREE with everything that you said in that post.

I would have liked to get a GT but at the time could not afford to do so. Also, the "perceived" fuel economy was another reason why I went with the V6.

Perhaps most of all, I don't race my mustang and prob never will. I'm not real interested in making those type of modifications to the gears, suspension, engine, etc. because I would never use them. I am more interested in making the appearance modifications. Some people on this board don't like that, it is very clear. But that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I understand that.

I'll be the first to admit that my mustang a "poser" of sorts. I altered it to look more aggressive than it is and far more powerful than it is. The reason for this is, I want the look of a more powerful mustang since I cannot afford to really buy one. Some don't see that point of view because they are lucky enough to own a GT and they don't like to see V6es pretending to be something they are not. I completely understand that as well.

The good thing, overall, is that I love my pony more than any car i have ever had. I could not be more happy with what I have done with it and I plan on keeping it for as long as it lasts. Hopefully someday I will be able to afford a GT500, because that is what I really want.

Today while driving my whip to work,

:spit:
Datz wak yo..cuz, de uda da, i was rollin' my whip downton'.. Dank yo..

:nonono: :rolleyes: :notnice:

Pimp my Ride/MTV vocabulary aside, I get plenty of thumbs up with the Shelby.. usually non-Mustang cars.. The other day, I passed a guy in a Roush at a stoplight who basically acted like he was dead.. didn't move a muscle to even look at my car (and he saw me coming).. :shrug:

I ALMOST gave the nod to what I thought was a red roush... well at least the front.. Turns out it was a V6'r with the Roush front end. Just for that, I almost gave him my other finger.. but decided not to. crapola

I get more "thumbs-up" with my Mustang than I do with the Corvette. I'll nod and and a "thumbs-up" back. :nice:

I've had Corvette guys give me thumbs up several times. More than I can say about Cobra owners...

I will usually wave at every Mustang that I see. I almost thing that half the time people wonder why I'm waving at them! Its all good fun! Sometimes its a nod.

I've had several people ask me "How fast does that thing go?" I like to come back with "Not Fast Enough" It usually gives them a chuckle and keeps things friendly, while also potentially warding off someone wanting to race...

DarkFire is right. Come on people, Everyone likes their own car for their own reasons. V6'ers are welcome in my book! Same with those I6 guys of the 60's! Lets not put people down, It should be a good happy fun time for all!

-Jason

well he needs to crank it up then!

Let's face it. Some people like badging. Some don't.

I'm a fan.

On the other hand, I don't really like the looks of Mustangs that are stripped of its identifying marks. That's too plain for me.

But overall, I respect everyone's decision to do anything they want with their pony.

God bless the Ford Motor Co.

The arguments put forth, I understand.

But saying that 1 in 10 mustangs at car shows are 6'es does not correlate to statistic fact that V6 owners are not enthusiasts.

I am certainly an enthusiast, yet i will likely never go to a car show. How do you account for the many like me? I highly doubt that I am a minority in this category.

You are right in saying the MAJORITY of enthusiasts own GTs or higher.

But as DarkFire said... at least 90 percent of V6 drivers not enthusiasts?

No way.

I go back to my previous statement. Judging by the remarks made, at least 90 percent of the Mustang enthusiasts out there have enough money to buy at least $27,000 on a GT?

So, by their nature, Mustang enthusiasts tend to be well off financially?

Doesn't hold water to me.

Paid $21,000 for mine. He's making up a percentage off the top of his head. Hell, most people do that in conversations.

Just let if go, man. He's right. Well over half, and most likely over 3/4, of the V6 owners out there just don't give a **** about Mustangs. They got them for their "sweet 16" and got it because "it's a cute car". ****, half the girls at my high school (when I was there) had V6's b/c they thought they were "cute" and "cool".

Edit: Oh, and my best friend from high school just bought an 03 Cobra stiggy stage 4 port and supporting mods, irs completely built, and 8k miles for $26,500. You can find good deals on GT's or higher if you look. Even ones with low mileage.

hoboattacker...

I have let it go. I have stated my opinion and it hasn't changed. I disagree. plain and simple.

No one can know for sure because no one has hard numbers on it. It's gonna be left up to opinion. But that's fine with me.

You must've bought your GT used... which I guess is another way enthusiasts can get the V8 over the 6 without shelling out the big dollars.

I have only gotten one or two thumbs up in the 3 years of owning my stang. Many just dont look. I realized after thumbing one guy that not all are owners cause the guy was renting it. :)
Dark dont worry about ppl thinking perv unless your winking at them.

hoboattacker...

I have let it go. I have stated my opinion and it hasn't changed. I disagree. plain and simple.

No one can know for sure because no one has hard numbers on it. It's gonna be left up to opinion. But that's fine with me.

You must've bought your GT used... which I guess is another way enthusiasts can get the V8 over the 6 without shelling out the big dollars.

Good deals can be had on used stock. I got my 2003 GT premium off the showroom floor in May of 2004 for $19k. There was $6k off + Xplan. $3.5k is the current rebate on the remaining '07's right now. You can get a GT for under $23k if you have an xplan pin right now. Wait a few more weeks and they may bump the rebate, if there's any '07's left.

I took my car out for the first time today with the Flows and it was insane. People pointing at my car, 2 guys came up to me and asked about the exhaust, heads were turning everywhere. It was sweet.

My car really liked the cold weather too, I should have been driving it all winter. Right after I left my house a white GT goes by with a Cervinis hood and gauges on the pillar. I pulled out and as I came up along side of him at about 25mph, I pushed in the clutch, put it in second, floored it and dumped the clutch. I was a little shocked when I took off sideways and smoked second gear all the way to 6 grand and halfway through third.

I should have gotten a thumbs up for that one!

I'm not a compulsive thumbs-up giver or getter, but it feels good once in a while. For years I carried an 8x10 card printed landscape on both sides:
On one side, in big, contrasting letters

NICE
CAR!

On the other side,

LEFT LANE
IS FOR
PASSING!

The first one always got big smiles and thumbs-ups,
the second I flashed as I went past the left-lane hogs
so I didn't always see the reaction of the driver. Plenty
of times they pulled into the next lane when I was through
with that part of it.

As for "keep it civil", I'm going to start a forum where I can be a monitor or whatever they're called, and be a smart-arse to start fights, and then close the threads when I get tired of them. With privilege comes responsibility.

Cheers!

I usually give a thumb, a wave, or a head nod as i pass another Stang.

I still get comments, most recently was a couple of days after I put on the blue fog lens covers.
I was pulling into a lot, and let this young guy cross in front of me.
My daughter and I parked out in the boonies, and he followed us out there to tell me I had the nicest GT he's ever seen.

My favorite still has to be shortly after I got it I was driving past a middle school.
As I went by, this group of kids stopped what they were doing, and one boy yelled out "that Mustang is baaaad-aaaassss".
Nice to know they're teaching the important things.