Anyone Else Have 315's? Need Help.

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
against better judgement and advice, even though prior reading said it was possible with minimal modifications using a 5lb sledge. I decided to run a 10.5" rear wheel with a 315 series tire. I am running a 1/4 spacer which brings the tires right to my fender lip. SVE control arms with poly bushings, new spring isolators on stock springs in the back. My issue may spread further than just the width of my tires, but let me describe what I hate the most. Left hand turns. Not just because I think NASCAR is the most absurd of sports(if you can call it a sport), but every time I make a lefty the body roll brings my tire in contact with the inner fender. Not the fender lip, but the inside of the fender. Right hand turns are pretty forgiving but I am not trying to pull any G's on the skid pad here. Speed bumps and inclines are also fairly forgiving. If i rub on a 30* incline I am not going to blame obese tires for it, but it seems that when I take a left like a grandma in a hoveround I shouldnt hear rubber scraping my fender skirts clean. I've clearanced all that I can so I am left with two alternatives that I can think of.
1) mini tub. not really thinking this is the answer.
2)panhard bar( not sure if this will help in a cornering situation, as everything I have read is to keep it centered at takeoff.)

I want to say that if I can eliminate or reduce the body roll through a corner or during a turn the problem will be greatly reduced if not eliminated without having to cut into the frame for a mini tub. This is the only decision I have ever regretted about my car.

• Sponsors (?)

I just went 10 rounds with my sledge again. seemed to make a little progress,but the area that it hits is the shock tower which is a structural component of the fender. might could possible use a grinder to take more material off here.
here is a pic of the area right after I beat on it . everything else is black and covered with dirt which tells me its only this section causing me issuues
IMG_20130810_145840_zps8c34257d.jpg
[/URL]

Question:

Is the rubbing (do you think) the result of body roll or is the result of the axle shifting laterally during a turn?

They're two different issues.

Is the tire rubbing in the area that you pictured above?
Is the tire rubbing the inboard side of the outer fender well.
Is the fender well / fender lip coming down and rubbing the top of the tire?

Tire only appears to rub in the spot pictured above. I am only assuming it's body roll as I can feel the vehicle pitch during a corner. It could in fact be the axle moving. The only thing I can positively say is that it only happens in a left hand turn.

Tire only appears to rub in the spot pictured above. I am only assuming it's body roll as I can feel the vehicle pitch during a corner. It could in fact be the axle moving. The only thing I can positively say is that it only happens in a left hand turn.

You need to find a way to verify what's going on. Maybe put the car on a lift (wheels loaded) and you and couple buddies can push (gently) on the bumper/quarter panel to see if it contacts.

You can also (with the car on the ground) push down on that rear corner to see if it rubs.

If the axle is moving laterally, then a panhard bar should cure it.

If the inside fender well is 'coming down' on the tire then a set of weight jacker LCAs, slightly longer springs, or the addition of spring isolator might give you what you need to clear.

PHB has been on my list....
now I have an excuse. Thanks guys. FWIW I heated the area and beat on it some more. a short test drive later there was no more rubbing. hopefully that was all the room I needed. If not I will make plans for the PHB.

dont think that thought hasnt crossed my mind. Drove to the office this morning and its improved a bit after yesterdays round of beating but unfortunately I cant push the fender in any more without risking ruining the shock mount.

PHB has been on my list....
now I have an excuse. Thanks guys. FWIW I heated the area and beat on it some more. a short test drive later there was no more rubbing. hopefully that was all the room I needed. If not I will make plans for the PHB.

Unless your test drive was very spirited, you will probably need the panhard bar. Each time i drove i thought i had the rubbing conquered, but it still came back at certain angles and turns.
Beating it helps, but other than on a drag car, it doesn't completely solve the problem, and tearing up $250+ tires on the inner or outer fender sucks.

Be advised, the pandhard bar has it's own issues, like exhaust fitment, from what i know there are only two 2.5 inch catbacks that clear it.
I'll know for sure soon enough...

Unless your test drive was very spirited, you will probably need the panhard bar. Each time i drove i thought i had the rubbing conquered, but it still came back at certain angles and turns.
Beating it helps, but other than on a drag car, it doesn't completely solve the problem, and tearing up $250+ tires on the inner or outer fender sucks.

Be advised, the pandhard bar has it's own issues, like exhaust fitment, from what i know there are only two 2.5 inch catbacks that clear it.
I'll know for sure soon enough...
There were two corners on my way to work where I rubbed idling through the turn. This morning I made the trip without hearing anything scrape. I am positive there will still be clearance issues approaching a corner at anything resembling spirited.