Anyone ever end up doing this? Roll'on paint job?

• Sponsors (?)

Years ago I seen a car in a parade in town. It was slick as glass. I was amazed to learn the guy had painted it with a brush. I had to take a second look (closeup). I think he said he used a 4" china bristle and a single stage automotive enamel, then sanded and buffed to a finish that would rival any spray job. And there was no brush marks!

oh no, you found the moparts thread!! my buddy has been following that thread for a long time, and is always talking about it. for $50, you cant complain about the results.

some came out better than others. the thing to remember is that most people that use this method are on a tight budget, and this is a great alternative to earl scheib and maaco.

I got through about 30ish pages. The guy that started the roller painting says you can, but it is a waste of time. Basically, the colored tremclad shines the same without the clear coat, and if you damage the paint it would be easier/quicker to paint without the clear coat. But after reading 30 pages it doesn't seem it would hurt. If the shine was the same I'd rather just add additional coats of the colored paint.

That guy had some amazing results for a gallon of paint, some rollers, and some sandpaper! :nice: Just takes some time, as with any paint job.
I might have to try that process out sometime. Not on the Stang but a beater.
Cheap....I mean thrifty people like me, love to hear ways to s...t...r...e...t...c..h the
mighty dollar.

I came cross that tread about a month ago. I am trying to get the motivation to try it on my 5.0. Supposidly it will take a weekend to complete which will mean a month for me. I am probably gonna pick up the stuff this weekend. I will let you know how it goes once I get started. I will start on my hood but I got a bunch of prep work because the clear is flaking off but oh well... It's sacrificial because I wanna get a cowl anyways. Check out this guy's results. http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html
Kevin

I have painted a few boats with Interlux Polyshades. You use a roller and a brush and the finish comes out like glass. It has self leveling polymers in it. Problem is it costs about $150-$200 a gallon.

100_0401.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 135
I think I am settling on the Marine Gloss bright red seeing my 5.0 is already red... well was... At one time it was called project pink stang from being oxidized so bad. Either way I hope my colorblindness doesn't affect me too much in choosing a color and I hope the Marine grade will work fine.
Kevin

Interesting, but it sounds like a heck of a lot of labor. I suppose that’s fine for those with no funds and lots of spare time. I bet you could paint (and finish) 3 cars with a budget compressor and spray gun in the same amount of time required to roll painting, and sanding, and sanding, and sanding . . . 1 car.

I like this idea. I'm to pg 30. What I haven't read so far is tests with the industrial grade (7400 system) rustolem. The industrial looks to be a better paint according to their site. I realize it's probably not available at Lowes or Home Depot. I'd have to get it through one of the venders at work. There's a couple that handle rustoleum products.

Later in the thread, maybe it was part 2 of the thread, I don't know it's been a while, Brightside Marine paint is mentioned. At $34 a quart vs. $8 for the Rustoleum/Tremclad it's a but more, but supposedly it covers faster. About 3 coats gives complete coverage where as the Rustoleum takes at least 5 or 6.

Sift through the pages and you'll find a few good pics, but there was one car that was actually taken with a good camera (I guess it's hard to find someone with a good camera in a "paint your car for $50" thread) and it was mirror-smooth. The reflection of the guy holding the camera was flawless.

I found out Marine West, who carries the Brightside line, is about a mile away from home.

But first, must fix rust...