Anyone have a Centerforce dual friction clutch?

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
I have a Centerforce dual friction clutch with the aluminum flywheel. All is well except for speed shifting. Have to granny shift when doing high rpm shifting. The hydraulics are completely free of air. Clutch feels like it's not completely releasing when shifting at higher rpm's. Anyone experience this?

• Sponsors (?)

You're granny shifting, not double clutching like you should..:rlaugh: Sorry, I couldnt resist. But seriously,I thought the Dual Friction was a race only clutch that operated basically like and on/off switch, not good for daily driving.

No, you're wrong. A Centerforce DFX is the race clutch, the dual friction is for street/strip. So, I take it you don't have this problem or the same clutch along with not knowing what you're talking about?

i have not seen many posts on stangnet about the centerforce clutch. you probably wont get many responses. actually i dont think many people here have swapped their clutch at all yet. :shrug:

Yeah, I'm seeing what you're saying. Centerforce is looking into it, Spec says Centerforce's design is flawed. I say, when the clutch starts to engage 2 inches from the floor, something's a little off. Centerforce says that's normal with their set up. I'm thinking of just installing another brand clutch like Spec or Ram.

I have a CF DF in my '95. It is a smooth clutch with very little pedal effort and it grabbed even when I had the KB in the car with no problems. I will say that at higher RPMs it wants to grab when the clutch pedal is pushed in. It is part of how that design works. It grabs more with RPM and is how it got it's name. So...if you don't have things just right, I could see you having problems with it disengaging at higher rpms.

Even Justin Burcham drove the crap out of my car and said it was in the clutch. I think the slave/brg. combo should be shimmed out a few thousandths, if there's room to do it. I wouldn't want to over do the shims and break the thing.