Anyone here ever repaired a fiberglass/plastic resin hood?

KENS89LX

Mar 12, 2006
Cross lanes Wv
I have a cobre r hood that was in a accident and the fasteners were pulled out of the hood, I've tried JB weld but it did'nt bond to the the plastic. I am wondering if anyone of you guys has tried anything that worked, or maybe will work. It also has crackes where it was put together. Thanks!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a fiberglass hood too, the previous owner didn't put the front hood pins in and it flipped back into the windshield. When it did, it cracked the fiberglass right on the fold of the cowling.

I've got experience in fiberglass work, so that's what I'll use to repair it. In your case I'd try to use fiberglass cloth and resin also. I'm guessing your damage is on the underside? In that case you really don't have to worry about appearance so use as much as you need to make a good, strong repair. I don't think anything else will work. Good luck :)

Heres a pic of the bolt fastener pulled out. I was told to try kitty hair or tiger hair, ever tried them?

Attachments

• hood damage 001.jpg
    hood damage 001.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 107
tiger hair would be a good choice. It's a long strand reinforced filler that will form a very good bond.

Not sure well how this would pan out for you, but in the past I have epoxied a metal plate to the fiberglass wherever there is a mounting point like that to help relieve the stress.