Anyone here use Ford Synthetic Blend 5W-20 oil?

modu1ar tek

Sep 15, 2003
5,000 miles is coming up, and I already bought a case of Mobil 1 Synthetic, 5W-30 oil, but I was looking over the manual and it said to use Ford Synthetic Blend 5W-20 oil instead. It's much cheaper, and it's what Ford wants us to use. Anyone ever us that kind of oil? Also, is it 100% synthetic or only synthetic blend as the name of the product says? Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

Motorcraft 5w-20 is what the cars come with from the factory. Its synthetic blend, which is a combination of regular oil and synthetic. Its what they recommend but you can use 5w-30. For years, Ford used 5w-30 in the Modular 4.6ltr Vehicles until I believe 2001, they decided to go to 5w-20. My guess is for slightly better gas mileage, nothing more. Mobil 1 is fully synthetic by the way and will offer more protection for your motor. Dont know if the dealership will approve of the oil or not. It could affect your warranty. I dont know how many stories Ive heard of peoples warranties being voided for just using a different motor oil. :rolleyes:

I was told by a ford tech that the only reason they offer the synthetic oil change is for the 03 cobra and lightnings because they require that oil. If i were you i would stick with the 5-30. That seems to be the concensus on here.

I went to Walmart and they had the oil for 1.81 a qt. I picked up 6 qts and im going to use that. It's cheaper, and it's the oil ford recommends..I don't want them to void my warranty.

Until your warranty is up, I would use the specified 5W-20. If you blow your motor, the first thing Ford is going to do is send a sample of your oil to a laboratory to be tested. I use the recommended oil, and it is 1.79 at my Wal-Mart.

Dark Knight GT said:
Motorcraft 5w-20 is what the cars come with from the factory. Its synthetic blend, which is a combination of regular oil and synthetic. Its what they recommend but you can use 5w-30. For years, Ford used 5w-30 in the Modular 4.6ltr Vehicles until I believe 2001, they decided to go to 5w-20. My guess is for slightly better gas mileage, nothing more. Mobil 1 is fully synthetic by the way and will offer more protection for your motor. Dont know if the dealership will approve of the oil or not. It could affect your warranty. I dont know how many stories Ive heard of peoples warranties being voided for just using a different motor oil. :rolleyes:

Beware.

In Canada the dealers state that the 5W20 oil is now just straight conventional motor oil produced by Petro Canada (in 2001/2002 I think it was semi-synthetic). Make sure that Ford hasn't made the switch to straight conventional oil in the US.