Anyone running catalytic converter on a turbo setup?

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
Is anyone running a turbo with a catalytic converter? I was thinking of replacing the short pipe where the cutout/dump part is with a 3" catalytic converter with v band clamp ends welded on. Would this effect the turbo negatively in any way? I have always run cats on my cars, I do not like the exhaust smell without them.

Thanks

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Something that just dawned on me (where's the 'light bulb' emogi?)
Everybody talks about the stinky exhaust with no cats, I have no cats (well not for the car anyway)and never noticed any unpleasant odors (other than when I forget my deodorant, sorry Steve), never gave it much thought until tonight. Everybody was smelling a chemical rich odor, I was not, maybe cause with the spark plugs loose I was lean, less chemical, more oxygen.
Am I thinking this correctly is my cartoon mind confusing me?
I'm thinking I need to add cats to the list, fauck, gonna run outta carboard at this rate.

This is a flowmaster " spun" catalytic converter that i had on the Monster maybe a couple of years ago...
20210413_214026.jpg

This is what it looked like after I ran it for a year.
20210413_214036.jpg

What do ya spose happened to all of the catalyst material that was inside this thing, and what do you think happens when a turbine impeller has to eat it?

My Audi has the Catalytic Converter mounted right after the turbo. I think there is like 1-2" between the converter and the turbo flange. On my Mustang I run the converter a little farther downstream just because of space (Near where most H/X Pipes mount them.

This is a flowmaster " spun" catalytic converter that i had on the Monster maybe a couple of years ago...
20210413_214026.jpg

20210413_214036.jpg

What do ya spose happened to all of the catalyst material that was inside this thing, and what do you think happens when a turbine impeller has to eat it?
I hope so, it will give me a reason to get better turbos

20210413_214026.jpg

20210413_214036.jpg

Aftermarket catalytic converters are notoriously poor quailty to meet a price point. They cheap out on the alloys. That's why you get like $50 at the scrap yard for an OEM cat, and like a buck for an aftermarket one. Then you throw one of the crappiest brands on top of that for your nostalgic experience moment. I think your particular experience has value for a theoretical discussion, but isn't a hard and fast rule for making a turbo setup.

Kurt

Any real high performance forced induction csr I have seen making any type of power tends to do exactly what mike displayed . I looked into this for my car to a - quiet it down a smidge , and b clean up some of the exhaust smell . It isn’t terrible but it’s there . To no avail I cannot find a cat to last at the power levels to justify doing it .