Anyone Use The Interior Spray Dye From Lrs

91foxbod50

Sep 26, 2007
I might dye the seats in my coupe black. They are gray cloth now, my only concern is wearing a fresh white T on a hot day and having the back of it dyed black from sweat lol. Has anyone had any experience with the adhesion of these products? Also a chance I may dye the quarter panel plastics.

• Sponsors (?)

Ive used the dye for peices like the kickpanels and stuff. it works pretty well on the vinyl/plastics. As long as you prep and take your time. Not sure how well it would turn out on the seats. I'd order from american muscle, same price paint and free shipping. They only have grey and black but sounds like you just need black.

I've had GREAT success with SEM. However recently I've been struggling to find a color to match my dash top and column cover etc on my 88 GT so I have bought some VHT to try. My OPINION on your choice is..will every Mustang someday have a black interior? It is your choice and your car but I think I'd keep the original color. I had an 87 GT with a perfect tan interior some years back...still my favorite color and you never see it now.

Depends on how much your changing the color, but its its the stock light gray dont bother. I used some one my Corbeau back seats that faded and its only soso. It took 3/4 a can per seat. Better off buying new seats and interior and swapping.

With any product you use, the cleaning and prep are going to be the thing that makes the big difference. Any small parts that you can get away with running through the dishwasher without freaking out your wife or mother is a great help. Once you get the parts clean, use cotton or nitrile gloves to handle them to avoid transferring dirt and oils from your skin to the newly clean parts. Use the prep/primer recommended by the manufacturer, and the final color coat is applied lightly and evenly. You will need to spray multiple light color coats to get the coverage and color you want. Be prepared to do the work in a warm place. If you spray the product in a cold damp area, the solvent evaporation may cause condensation on your colored parts. Be patient to wait for the coat to dry before you apply another coat.

I used some one my Corbeau back seats that faded and its only soso. It took 3/4 a can per seat. Better off buying new seats and interior and swapping.
Damn...I was actually considering doing this to a set of seats I picked up this fall. Beautiful black stock GT seats, but just slightly "off-black" with the rest of the interior.

bumping an old thread cause i just did this. the plastic dye from lrs works AWESOME! just did speaker covers and a few other parts in my vert interior and the color match is perfect. application is a breeze and prep was 10 minutes. great product!!!

I've bought SEM dye for many years on both interior and exterior parts with good success. As mentioned, the key with any dye/paint job is in the prep. I would test it out an an inconspicuous area first and see how you like results.

I've bought SEM dye for many years on both interior and exterior parts with good success. As mentioned, the key with any dye/paint job is in the prep. I would test it out an an inconspicuous area first and see how you like results.
Did you do any of the soft vinyl? The plastic turned out great, my concern with the soft vinyl is flexing and cracking.

Did you do any of the soft vinyl? The plastic turned out great, my concern with the soft vinyl is flexing and cracking.

Key is Prep!

I actually dyed my leather Corban motorcycle seat with the SEM product. I used it because they had a better selection of color. I used "silver" but on the final coat, I used a clear sealer that made it a perfect job, water tight. No issues after two years of sweeting on it the hot S. Florida sun. Prep is the key, and use light coats. Too heavy a coat and you'll have problems...

Also. I sprayed my son's dirtbike seat with the vinyl / fabric paint at advance auto parts and it turned out awesome and has held up nicely; I will say that after a riding season, I did see very small crease lines along the sides of the seat, basically from shooting too thick in the first place. We light-prepped it and shot another light coat over it and it back in the saddle again.

EDIT: Funny, I just noticed, it's the bike in my avatar;)

Key is Prep!

I actually dyed my leather Corban motorcycle seat with the SEM product. I used it because they had a better selection of color. I used "silver" but on the final coat, I used a clear sealer that made it a perfect job, water tight. No issues after two years of sweeting on it the hot S. Florida sun. Prep is the key, and use light coats. Too heavy a coat and you'll have problems...

Also. I sprayed my son's dirtbike seat with the vinyl / fabric paint at advance auto parts and it turned out awesome and has held up nicely; I will say that after a riding season, I did see very small crease lines along the sides of the seat, basically from shooting too thick in the first place. We light-prepped it and shot another light coat over it and it back in the saddle again.

EDIT: Funny, I just noticed, it's the bike in my avatar;)

Reason I ask is my scarlet red leather steering wheel is nice on the bottom and worn black om the top. Cant find anyone that re wraps them so might have to try dye.

Reason I ask is my scarlet red leather steering wheel is nice on the bottom and worn black om the top. Cant find anyone that re wraps them so might have to try dye.

I'd say give it a try, for sure.

The key to the steering wheel success will be to get as much of the oil off it as possible - the more, the better the results. Also, spraying it on the car might pose a challenge. If you can remove it, it would be best.

I paint items like this on one of those cake carousels; the one you can spin the item around while spraying.

Best of luck with the project.