Anyone Used A Key Locking Auto Trans Shifter Knob?

jerthemost

Sep 9, 2012
I have a 68 that i want to add a little extra measure of security to so have been thinking about ordering one of the auto trans key lock shifter handle for it. Does anyone have any experience with it or do you have any better ideas for theft prevention? Would appreciate any and all ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to have a 58 Chebby pickup with a locking shifter. Wasn't key lock though... you just pressed a button to lock it and had to rotate the shifter knob to unlock it. Stumped many a moron back in the day. Never locked it, left the key in the ignition. Three break-ins (so to speak since it wasn't locked), no radio to steal.

Anyway... dunno if they still make those but it was very stealth and definitely served it's purpose.

i use the grant vehicle security system instead. with that system you actually take the steering wheel off and cap the column. you can then either carry the steering wheel with you or lock it in the trunk.

push button ignition, no key required to start. if I park it somewhere I worry about I take my steering wheel like rbohm does. I get funny looks, but really don't care, my car is cooler than the lookers. I do have door locks, but they would only slow down a rookie thief. Without the steering wheel it'll be hard to drive. Also, the car is not very street friendly, I worry more about someone wrecking it if they did take it.

Hi,
I ran one for several years in my early 65 CVT. It worked well in my application. Thankfully, it was never challenged. I suppose it will help with keeping idiots with taking off with pride and joy. But then, I had a hide-a-away lock on my ignition box, as well. Locks only deter honest people anyway. I'm running a T5z these days.

I once set up a 65 FB with the battery concealed in the RH quarter trim, with a solenoid in there. No power source under the hood for hotwiring, and with a careful modification of the fuse box, almost all of the wiring inside the car was dead, too. A pressure switch, hidden under the carpet, would activate the battery and bring everything back to normal.

I'd have your car going down the road in under a minute by whacking off the top of the shifter with some bolt cutters.....

If they really want it, they are going to steal it. However, you can make it as hard as possible.... how about a hidden Mico dual cable lock? http://www.mico.com/products/brake-actuation/brake-locks/dual-cable-lock

Imagine the look on the crooks face when he finds out all 4 wheels are locked solid. :)