Roush Anyone using 66mm pulley on saleen?

Just wondering if this was safe and how much of an increase in horsepower you got with it. Is a smaller belt needed? Also, what other mods do you have on your saleen that you like? I need to get rid of the factory saleen x-pipe because the 4 converters are taking way too much sound away. Anyone using a different x-pipe with the stock magnaflow exhaust? Thanks for your replies ahead of time.

• Sponsors (?)

I switched to the 66mm pulley on my 99, and immediately had detonation.
I had the car dyno'd and the a/f was off the wall... I ended up having a
255 fuel pump installed and a chip. I only picked up around 20 hp, but the
car pulls to redline now, where it used to fall on its face.

Since you mention the Magnaflow exhaust, I'm guessing your car is an 02 or
newer. I have the Borla's on my 99 along with the Magnaflow X w/cats. No
real difference in sound, maybe slightly louder. I had a VRS off road on for
a while, and it really sounded nice. I just don't want to risk getting pulled over
with no cats so I put the Magnaflow on...

A smaller belt is needed with a 66mm pulley.

I have a pulley sitting on my toolbox that serves as a paperweight to hold down receipts. I have so far decided against upping the boost until I beef up the fuel system and find out how the air/fuel ratio is doing. I also want to know what the intake charge temperatures are before adding more heat due to the increased boost from a smaller pulley.

While it is easy to gain another two or three pounds of boost, the Saleen intercooler system is not very efficient at shedding the corresponding gain in heat. For me right now, the additional power provided by a 66mm pulley is not worth the added stress on the engine.

I’ll find out soon how the car does with a Magnaflow X-pipe (with cats) as it is up on jack stands right now and torn apart. Like tfalk, my car has the Borla exhaust.

My favorite mods:
*Global West competition sub frame connectors (Mustangs like to be stiffened up)
*MAC Cold Air Intake (Added power and let’s the blower sing under load)

I need to add the welded SF's one of these days...

Interestingly enough, my car runs slower with the cold air kit. It sounds great,
but it runs consistantly slower at the track. Same thing if I remove the silencer.
My car has always run it's best times with the stock air box and silencer.

Now THAT's weird... Then again, this car has been a little strange since the
day I got it. Just like the owner :D (shaddup Mike!)

tfalk said:
I need to add the welded SF's one of these days...

Interestingly enough, my car runs slower with the cold air kit. It sounds great,
but it runs consistantly slower at the track. Same thing if I remove the silencer.
My car has always run it's best times with the stock air box and silencer.

Now THAT's weird... Then again, this car has been a little strange since the
day I got it. Just like the owner :D (shaddup Mike!)

It seems that ‘99+ Saleens are not very consistent in terms of power output from one car to the next. I have heard of other cars like tfalk’s. I lucked out and gained about 6.5 RWHP from the CAI.

What kind of cai do you guys have on your cars? I guess I would just order it for a 03 GT? Also, is any cutting involved for the fit? Thanks for the input on the smaller pulley. You definately changed my mind about it.Oh ya, my car is a 03 s281 s/c.

saleen195 said:
What kind of cai do you guys have on your cars? I guess I would just order it for a 03 GT? Also, is any cutting involved for the fit? Thanks for the input on the smaller pulley. You definately changed my mind about it.Oh ya, my car is a 03 s281 s/c.

If you get one for a GT, the upper pipe must be cut. This isn't too hard. You can also buy a premade one from Chicane, called the RIPP Kit. However, it does have an exposed engine bay filter if this makes any difference to you.

saleen195 said:

Since you have the more efficient Series IV twins screw blower, you may be able to get away with increasing the boost a couple of pounds without making any other modifications. I think Saleen upgraded the fuel pump on ‘03s. I don’t know if their intercooler system is any better than that offered with the Series I and II Eaton M90 blowers. Anyway, I would still check A/F ratio, and intake charge temps on a dyno before installing the pulley. If all looks good, it only takes a few minutes to slap on the smaller pulley, then dyno it again.

I have not heard if Chicane has a pulley or a RIPP for the Series IV yet.

I have a MAC CAI that I cut for the 99 s/c, and it's just collecting dust
in my garage. Make me an offer if anyone wants it... Like I said, it sounds
cool on my car but I was losing .3 on the 1320. As soon as I swapped the
stock air box back on, the car ran faster. I'm still suspicious that I might
have been maxing out the MAF, never had time to go back and test the theory.

00s281sc368 said:
The MAC CAI heats up the air more than stock intake...that's why it makes less power ! :notnice:

That is one opinion about metal constructed CAIs in general, be it made for a Mustang or a Honda, etc. Other people will say in rebuttal that air moves through the intake pipe too quickly (especially off idle) to be heated up a significant amount.

I have yet to see test data published that compares air temperatures of a metal intake pipe to determine if the air entering the throttle body is any warmer than air entering the air filter. Do you know if such information exists?

I have a 00 S281SC,We{PerformanceAutosport} sell a few Cold air kits and I wanted to install one on my personal car.
We dynoed the Ripp kit and my car did not make any more power but lost 2 FtLBs of torque. It looks cool and sounds great.
Then I tested the Densecharger. It was incredible the difference. The car responded with 12 more HP and 21 FtLbs of torque. That is power you can feel. I was shocked.
We later installed a Magnaflow X pipe with cats and the car picked up another 20FTLBs and 10HP.
Each car is different my car made 290 HP and 365 lbs of torque stock.
The end result was 310 hp and about 406 FTLBs of torque.

PS We also installed the 66mm pulley and the car went lean.I did not have time to burn a chip so it too is in my tool box.
[email protected]

I have a densecharger in my garage that I really want to put on, because I hate that my RIPP kit takes in so much hot air. How did you get the Densecharger to fit? I know you have to cut the throttle body pipe, but will it fit ok? How much should I cut off? It's just been sitting in my garage and I'd really like to get it on there. Thank you!

I don't have the 66mm pulley, and I really want to get one, but I'm considering a Kenne Bell in the future, and I don't want to spend $800 on pulley, pump, injectors, and rechip if I'm going to have to remove the chip and pulley later (the chip being the most expensive). Who knows though, I might.

Go for Hooker headers!!! Totally woke up the car.

ChrisWeil said:
I have a densecharger in my garage that I really want to put on, because I hate that my RIPP kit takes in so much hot air. How did you get the Densecharger to fit? I know you have to cut the throttle body pipe, but will it fit ok? How much should I cut off? It's just been sitting in my garage and I'd really like to get it on there. Thank you!

I don't have the 66mm pulley, and I really want to get one, but I'm considering a Kenne Bell in the future, and I don't want to spend $800 on pulley, pump, injectors, and rechip if I'm going to have to remove the chip and pulley later (the chip being the most expensive). Who knows though, I might.

Go for Hooker headers!!! Totally woke up the car.

Long tubes?

00-Saleen said:
Best mods for any 99-04 Sc Saleen

JLT or Densencharger intake (no RIPP pr Mac or BBK crap)
3:73 Gears
Long tubes
Off road x
75mmtb
90 mm Maf
42# injectors
Fuel pump
Tune
Pulley.
ngk Tr6's at .038

On an 03-04 that is 400rwhp.

What about an 02? Would the HP be similar?

What size pulley?

How should it be tuned? (chip?)

Also, where can all of these things be purchased? Peticularly the JLT Densencharger.