Anything special needed for B&M Deep tranny pan install?

monte87

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2001
new york
Greetings guy-

Im going to be buying a B&M Deep (3qts extra) transmission pan p/n #40291 for my AOD. i was wondering is there anything special that i will need for installation like- "Filter extension's" or anything for the AOD?

Thanks Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

You would want the filter pick-up at the bottom of the pan.

For example, when guys upgrade from the stock AODE pan to the 4R pan, you have to use the 4R filter because it has a lower pick-up point for the deeper pan.

HISSIN50 said:
You would want the filter pick-up at the bottom of the pan.

For example, when guys upgrade from the stock AODE pan to the 4R pan, you have to use the 4R filter because it has a lower pick-up point for the deeper pan.

So then if i have an AOD and i use the B&M deep pan, what filter would i have to use? And if the "pick up extension" is included-what will i have to do?

Ok-I call B&M-
them guys over there arent to swift...Which scares me. Anyhow-I ask them is anything extra needed for the deep tranny pan install, Like filter extensions and all, and he states no for the mustang but yes for any trck application such as a bronco that has an AOD. What difference does it make?
it also states for truck applications use the 4WD tranny filetr and not 2WD filter. thats got me thinking, WTF difference should it make between truck and stangs, its all AOD. guys whatta ya think here, help a bro out....

Any opinions and ideas are welcome!
& appreciated- Thanks Anthony

thehueypilot said:
I would think in some off camber situations (like 4X4 over big rocks) the filter could uncover and suck air if it was not deep enough. The 4WD would be the deeper (longer) filter.

Alrighty then!!!!!!!!!-It makes snese... Im gonna go to autozone and ask to see a tranny filter from a 91 BRONCO (AOD 4WD) and then look at mine-and see-if there really is a diff...Mustang (2WD).

Thanks though-Ant:nice:

Lemonade said:
I used a standard filter with my B&M pan, no problems.

Lems

hey lemonade-

thanks for replying. Dude-How long have you had the pan on??? How was fitment on the pan??? How many quarts of fluid did you need after slapping the B&M pan & new filter on in total....

Thanks bor- Ant:nice:

I used the 4x4 filter kit with my PA Deep Pan. PA said I didnt need it, but it didnt hurt either.

Its a regular filter with a cylindrical tube extension that allows it closer to the bottom of the pan so it stays submerged in fluid.

If you try it, make sure it isnt too close to the bottom, dont want to create more issues by restricing fluid flow. Same reason you check clearance on your oil pump pick up.

TheBocSez said:
I used the 4x4 filter kit with my PA Deep Pan. PA said I didnt need it, but it didnt hurt either.

Its a regular filter with a cylindrical tube extension that allows it closer to the bottom of the pan so it stays submerged in fluid.

If you try it, make sure it isnt too close to the bottom, dont want to create more issues by restricing fluid flow. Same reason you check clearance on your oil pump pick up.

Hey Boc-

Thanks for the reply!

Let me ask you this though, How long have you been running the deep pan??? ever any prob's? And what brand filter did you get dude? What name and all?

Thansk, Anthony:nice: :flag:

2 year with no issues. Just a more solid piece, Plus I like that it has a small sump by the drain plug so that you can better get all of the fluid and crap from the pan out to where if you install a plug in a stock pan, there is still about 3/8" of stuff that doesnt get drained out.

As far as the filter, I got it from Advance Auto. It was one of these two kits. They should let you take it out of the box to take a look at them.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=SAG&mfrpartnumber=FK167&parttype=1158&ptset=A

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...RA&mfrpartnumber=FT1086&parttype=1158&ptset=A

I have also since installed an Auxillary transmission filter kit I got from Summit for 35.00. Works great and adds a second filter (its an oil filter) to the mix to help keep things clean and add about 1 more qt fluid.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4980&N=700+400304+4294847345+115&autoview=sku

monte87 said:
hey lemonade-

thanks for replying. Dude-How long have you had the pan on??? How was fitment on the pan??? How many quarts of fluid did you need after slapping the B&M pan & new filter on in total....

Thanks bor- Ant:nice:

I have had it for at least 4-5 years. Fitment was fine, nice piece. Only drawback is it hangs low; scraped it a few times. It added I believe 3 qt.s to the total fill. Last time I did a complete tranny change it was darn near 4 gals total. I used Redline ATF, it cost a small fortune.

Lems

TheBocSez said:
2 year with no issues. Just a more solid piece, Plus I like that it has a small sump by the drain plug so that you can better get all of the fluid and crap from the pan out to where if you install a plug in a stock pan, there is still about 3/8" of stuff that doesnt get drained out.

As far as the filter, I got it from Advance Auto. It was one of these two kits. They should let you take it out of the box to take a look at them.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=SAG&mfrpartnumber=FK167&parttype=1158&ptset=A

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...RA&mfrpartnumber=FT1086&parttype=1158&ptset=A

I have also since installed an Auxillary transmission filter kit I got from Summit for 35.00. Works great and adds a second filter (its an oil filter) to the mix to help keep things clean and add about 1 more qt fluid.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4980&N=700+400304+4294847345+115&autoview=sku

Thanks- BOC-

one more thing the PA tranny deep pan, Is that the 3 qt additional or 2 QT additional?

Thanks dude- Ant

Hey I have a Trick Flow 1 extra qt. pan with drain plug. It only has 502 miles on it. Sell it to ya for 50 if you aren't dead set on the B&M pan. I also have a cooler with the same mileag I'll throw in cheap if you don't have one already.

fastfox86 said:
Hey I have a Trick Flow 1 extra qt. pan with drain plug. It only has 502 miles on it. Sell it to ya for 50 if you aren't dead set on the B&M pan. I also have a cooler with the same mileag I'll throw in cheap if you don't have one already.

hey-thanks dude.
but i'll take a pass on it. im looking for the most capacity i can get, 1 QT wont cut it for me. Giota HD cooler as well-But good looking out!

Thanks again-Anthony:nice: