Aod Problem?

Nate87

Active User
Aug 5, 2015
Hey everyone, new to stang net, have a question. Not a fox per say but fox drivetrain in a 2000 ranger, my setup is 87 5.0 ho, rebuilt with b cam, springs, hardened push rods, ported gt40p heads, weind stealth, headers, full exhaust 2.5 to 3" single, edelbrock 600 cfm, pertronix dist, and 410 rear end. Aod has shift kit also. My problem is everything was triple checked(timing,jetting,etc) and it feels like MAYBE a 16 second truck, I'm down to maybe the trans is hanging up? I realize b cam is good for 2500+ rpm but it just feels slow. Am I crazy, truck should be way faster at 3200lbs I would think, any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Also reason I say trans is when I punch it engine sounds healthy as can be pulls right up to 5k shift, but feels like I have the brakes on, every thing else rolls free on truck

• Sponsors (?)

So to recap. The truck has a mild 302 with an aod? What stall does the AOD have as that will be a major contributor to Seat of the pants feel.

Have you ran it at the track or just using the butt dyno?

What is the timing/advance? What fuel are you using?

If it already "pulls" to 5k then it could just be a case of "it is what it is"...

Thanks for the reply, using butt dyno and general comparison to mustangs I've driven close to same mods and weight, and a couple other stock 5.0 in rangers. I have stock converter which now I read more into it is rediculous to run with b cam. So my debate is better cam for stock stall or higher stall converter?

Not too bad, I raced a buddy of mines 72 skylark with a buick 350 runs 14 flat in the quarter and he had half a car on me from a 25mph start up to about 75mph. So for a mostly street, occasional strip, best bet is stock cam or new converter?

Update, threw stock ho cam back in this afternoon, truck feels completely different, pulls much harder now. Thanks for the input on the situation. Most likely a tremec will go in this winter, so prob cam will go back in then