• AOD

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • TKO-600

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

1968-coupe

Mar 28, 2010
Deep East Texas
I have been thinking about a trans for my street rod 1968 stang build, I was dead set on a manual but in my laziness I have been looking into autos. The only one that I think can satisfy me is an AOD with a manual/auto set up. It has the gears I want. (.67 overdrive)

Still when I picture a muscle car I think manual transmission. But The image the old Mopars in Fast and the Furios 4 isnt a bad image.

So I ask you guys, what do you prefer and have more fun with? A shiftable auto, or a manual?

Mostly street car with some occational drag duty. Street use will be cruising (hence the overdrive)

• Sponsors (?)

I have been thinking about a trans for my street rod 1968 stang build, I was dead set on a manual but in my laziness I have been looking into autos. The only one that I think can satisfy me is an AOD with a manual/auto set up. It has the gears I want. (.67 overdrive)

Still when I picture a muscle car I think manual transmission. But The image the old Mopars in Fast and the Furios 4 isnt a bad image.

So I ask you guys, what do you prefer and have more fun with? A shiftable auto, or a manual?

Mostly street car with some occational drag duty. Street use will be cruising (hence the overdrive)

I am right there myself, gotta decide by the 1st! leaning more towards the AOD just because I can have it done for right around 2000 compared to the TKO alone cost 2200 not to mention the mounting, bellhousingm clutch etc.

Another option is the 99-2002 4R70W from a 3.8 V6 with a MVB and stall. Just to throw it out there. I was at the same door you are right now. I ended up going C4 ONLY because im shooting for max performance and the C4 takes so much less power. Plus, the power im making required a one piece shaft, Manual Valve body, and high stall.

what's a shiftable auto?

there's a reason why, in general, musclecars with manual's sell for more money than automatics.

my first car was an automatic. it will also be the last automatic in an old car i ever own.

i personally hate automatics.

however, if you don't want to row the gears, then get an automatic. it's your car.

I think the choice between auto or manual should be a pretty cut and dry decision for you, do you want to shift the car every time or not? Some cars are really fun with a stick but you have to enjoy it every time.

I'm installing an AOD in my '67 Coupe as it was a C4 before, it will see a lot of hwy miles and I like to be able to drink my coffee while I drive:stirpot:

I picked up a 2nd hand uninstalled 450-550hp built AOD and am swapping in a VB from silverfox VB AOD
that will allow me to manual shift or leave it in auto, I can turn a screw on the VB and adjust the WOT from 5400 to 6200RPM (set at 5800 initially) and I had him install the solenoid to turn off OD with the flip of a switch so it won't go past 3rd at the strip. I think it'll be a pretty cool setup, especially if I install a ratchet shifter like the B&M Quicksilver.

I'm going to start with a 2300-2500 lockup stall and see how I like it for around town/hwy. and the strip, I can always change it to a taller one later if I need but I think it'll be good for my useage.

The AOD pan area is wider than the C4 so I'm having to bend my longtube headers to fit around the AOD, isn't easy and I've taken them on/off ~4 times engine out the car and 2X in the car so far. I should have just used shorties but I'm hard headed and want long tubes.

I had a 4sp. toploader in a '70 years ago and really got tired of having to shift so much as a DD, traffic, etc. and put a C4 in. I got better times at the strip with the auto, easier to steadily repeat my times.
Jon