Arizona heat? getting hot really fast

jlc8950

Jun 16, 2005
I have a 1989 mustang that i drive in phoenix, az where the temp right now is about 110-112. My car seems to get very hot very quickly when i drive. There is a sound coming from the thermosthat like water boiling. Its a new thermosthat. Its a new thermosthat and a new radiator. what can be the problem? what should i do? Should i run the can without a thermosthat at least for just the summer or no? What other problems can it be?

• Sponsors (?)

You did't list how modified the car is. Assuming that its almost stock it should not overheat at all. It would be a bad idea to run without a stat.

The first question I have is- did you put the stat in backwards? Next- how's your fan clutch? Are you running 50/50 coolant and water mixture? Underdrive pulleys?

I live in similar conditions and do not run hot with a fairly built motor and a supercharger. I run a 180 stat and a stock radiator. Maybe its because I removed my A/C....it's not a daily driver so I don't care.

If everything checks out you can always try running WaterWetter or a like product that will allow you to run cooler. You could also back down your timing.

QDRHRSE said:
You did't list how modified the car is. Assuming that its almost stock it should not overheat at all. It would be a bad idea to run without a stat.

The first question I have is- did you put the stat in backwards? Next- how's your fan clutch? Are you running 50/50 coolant and water mixture? Underdrive pulleys?

I live in similar conditions and do not run hot with a fairly built motor and a supercharger. I run a 180 stat and a stock radiator. Maybe its because I removed my A/C....it's not a daily driver so I don't care.

If everything checks out you can always try running WaterWetter or a like product that will allow you to run cooler. You could also back down your timing.

If it's that hot outside, try running a 70/30 mixture (water/coolant). The more water, the better the cooling. And yeah, how hot is it getting?

arizona heat ? car running 250 to 265 temp

my 1989 stang has magnaflow exhaust, bbk headers, underdrive steel pullies, 70 mm throtle body and spacer, 76 mm mass air metter, k & n filter, off road x-pipe. thats it. new radiator, new thermosthat and is not on backwards. and radiator is 70/30 water/coolant mixture. still get 250 to 265 close to 270 in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes of driving. dont know why it gets that hot. always have to add water to radiator every couple days. Could it be the AC. It didnt get that hot before i took a 5 hour trip to new mexico it stay at around 200 temp. suddenly started getting hot and fast.

I cant keep all your threads straight. Do you have a real gauge? Did you burp the system after the last flushing of coolant?

Good luck.