ATTN Guys with FTI CAMS

1of1971GTs

Nov 9, 2004
N.H
I need serious help from anyone that is running FTI cams. I've been fighting my car for 2 years and it just doesnt produce good times at the track. I have been tweeceing it for sometime now and still there is something missing in the picture. Last year the car bested a 12.41 at 110, with 1.60 60s. This year its done nothing but 12.5.12.6 at 109 108. I run a 13.3-13.5 AFR at WOT. Im just goin to list off all the crap done on this car... dss 306, girdle tray, AFR 165s, FTI cam, typhoon intake mild porting (performer RpM knock off), mac equal lenghts, pro chamber H, flowmaster cat back, run 4.10 gears, lakewood lift bars, bbk crappy springs, weld drag lites with 27x10.50 Mt et streets, oh 70mm tb, 73mm c&l, 24lb injectors. Beside not having it dynoed yet to see what the powers like, i dont know what gives with this car. It only weights 3150 with me in it. The 60fts are consistant 1.65 1.68 this year. I think last year i saw one 1.609. I'm looking for serious conversation. I will have this car dynoed to make certain the power it makes. Ed what telling me last year it was suspention. I dont want to put drag springs in the car. I wouldnt mind strange shocks and struts. Beside sprayin this car i would like to see it do low 12s all day on the motor. Im running at New England dragway, and in Oct the DA sometimes is BELOW sea level. Not like theres bad air. Talk tweecer, talk suspention, talk anything. I'm all ears.

• Sponsors (?)

In order to get bottom 12's you will need 115 or so mph , it seems to me you hit the wall as far as engine power is concerned and now you have to move onto suspension to make it all work. Those are respectable times for that combo you just got to make it work now. Look at the suspension under a pure street car to see how to get a car to work down the track.

110 mph is not bad at all for that combo:nice:

It really depends on what you told Ed you wanted with your combination (camshaft).

It probably is not the camshaft.

Have you messed with anything on the car between the 110 mph to the 108 mph times?

Get it on a dyno:nice:

Add fuel, 13.5:1 is too lean and especially now with that cold north east air its even leaner. 110 mph is enough for DEEP 12's. I think your tire height is too tall for only a 4.10 gear and youre going throug the traps too low.

Add fuel, 13.5:1 is too lean and especially now with that cold north east air its even leaner. 110 mph is enough for DEEP 12's. I think your tire height is too tall for only a 4.10 gear and youre going throug the traps too low.

Ive been payin attention to my trap rpm. Around 5,600 it goes through. I too was thinkin it was the tire. It probably could be part of the problem. In september last year i was runing 26's. I wore them out, i talked to Ed, he said with the 4.10s that i could start using a larger tire. Then in Oct 06 I bought the 27's. They are LARGE in comparison to the 26s. I'll measure them tomorrow.

Did you hurt the motor at all? Have you checked your compression lately? That's strange you can't pull down the same #'s as last year. Has anything changed?

:shrug: I don't think there is anything wrong with the mighty thre OH six. That motor only has like 9k on it. I can check compression tomorrow aswell. I already kinda checked it over. I pulled all my plugs re-gapped them. Found a small vacuum leak, and fixed that. Was goin to check my fuel pressure, see if its still where i set it, should be. It runs like a raped ape but just can;t do the numbers.

Ok. What's a better AFR for an N/A car. A freind and I tweece this car. He likes 13.0-13.3. We had a good tune that gave us that. I went for a little more timing which got the 13.3-13.6 ratio now. I will do some research on these ez street cars and their suspentions. If Ed could answer an email once, ill see if just basing the suspention and tires (i believe they can only run 26"tall tires) off like an ez street car then see whats up. You guys want to know a kick in the nuts thats in the back of my mind, this motor combo was in my last 88 GT. That car weight 3460 had 3.55s on 26" MT streets would run 12.6 all day UN TUNED. No can of tuna open on that car not even my wide band to see what was up.

well it seems like you have made some changes that WILL effect you ET. The tire size increase will not only increase rotating mass but lower revs considerably. Its like you have 3.73's now. Probably worth 0.05 right there.

As for the tweecer tune...what changes have you made. The 13.3-13.6 AFR is a little too lean in my eyes. For an N/A car i would be shooting for 12.8-13.0 to be safe and make good power. Perhaps when you added that timing you were already at a point of diminishing returns. There will be a point where adding timing does nothing for you anymore.
Where is the timing at?
Where did you add it to? The tables? WOT multiplier? Global Spark Adder Scalar?
What have you done in terms of the MAF tuning? Those C&L MAF's are risky.
Where are your injectors slopes?
How does it run in Closed Loop?

Let us know

PM me the specs on the cam.... I use a lot of Eds stuff and have built similar combo's so I might be able to give you some insight. I have found Eds stuff to be extremely accurate when I give him all the info, I have yet to be dissapointed with the performance gains.

Did you switch valve springs? Have you checked the pressures lately? With the gear you could use the 27" tire but I'd run a 26" if you can, really depends on the dyno and the curves. A tenth gain in the 60ft is about .2 in the quarter mile. The Strange adj struts and shocks are a good investment, I have a set of trimmed Eibach Drag front springs in my shop if your interested. They can go cheap I pulled them off a customers car when I switched it to coil overs.

Sorry I am not a TwEECer fan, ran into wan to many issues with the only one I messed with.

well it seems like you have made some changes that WILL effect you ET. The tire size increase will not only increase rotating mass but lower revs considerably. Its like you have 3.73's now. Probably worth 0.05 right there.

As for the tweecer tune...what changes have you made. The 13.3-13.6 AFR is a little too lean in my eyes. For an N/A car i would be shooting for 12.8-13.0 to be safe and make good power. Perhaps when you added that timing you were already at a point of diminishing returns. There will be a point where adding timing does nothing for you anymore.
Where is the timing at?
Where did you add it to? The tables? WOT multiplier? Global Spark Adder Scalar?
What have you done in terms of the MAF tuning? Those C&L MAF's are risky.
Where are your injectors slopes?
How does it run in Closed Loop?

Let us know

Ok I leave most of the tuning to my friend, he loves doing it and has more experience then me, both in researching and actual doing. I'm goin to look in my file now...Ugh I remember spending an afternoon just tuning the maf trasfer function. I remember him saying recently that fuel table-base OL that i can put in the ratio to run and it will run it. WOT spark adv vs. RPM in the other function he was in. At 5000 rpm in gettin 32.5 advance. Ill get my friend involved more. He figures its good. Now that i've heard more 12.8-13.0s im goin to state my case to him.

Doesn't take too long to change that targeted AFR to something closer to 13 flat. I would suggest making all of your timing changes to the Base tables. Make all 3 spark tables equal to the base sea level table. The WOT spark function is also a good place. talk to your tuner (friend haha) and see what he has to say! good luck man

Doesn't take too long to change that targeted AFR to something closer to 13 flat. I would suggest making all of your timing changes to the Base tables. Make all 3 spark tables equal to the base sea level table. The WOT spark function is also a good place. talk to your tuner (friend haha) and see what he has to say! good luck man

I checked my file again. He has already changed all the spark tables to the base sea level table. I went to the track this past friday night. My friend/tuna came to help out. It took him a few to see where we were at. Data logger 3 runs. I know i have a tune that will run 12.6-12.8 afr with a little less timing. Like you said or someone, it's finding that threshold of where timings making a difference, and where its not.