audio dang burnit!!!

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Ok first off you must understand I love my music. It must be played on good quality equipment. Bass is important to be good quality. Not talking hip hop stuff, just good deep and clear lows for my wide range of preferences. Rock n Roll, R&B, Counrty, Blues, Pop,...I love it all...

I need a good bass source for my 92 LX. I had an Infinity Basslink powered sub (the original one) and it was sufficient. Matter a fact it was awesome! But I'm so sad it stopped working. Now I'm left spoiled by the Infinitys good quality. I have a backup Rockford powered sub and it's saved me from total despair, but it cant hold a candle to the Infinity that once served me.

I need to replace the Infinity with something at least as good as it was. I suppose I could by a speaker enclosure and separate amp and all that. Maybe thats the only thing that will satisfy me, I don't know. But what are my options? Any really really good powered sub units out there? If not, what would you recommend?

• Sponsors (?)

I got my highs and mids covered. Believe me my ears bleed. I need top notch bass to fill it in. Why did Infinity discontinue such a good product?

It’s a pretty knarly playlist, titled, “Mustang “

F50F7140-0B88-4447-AA61-90F09AE07B4F.png 57BC70EB-1E77-404D-A60D-3CD8D2CCDB6C.png F6496AD3-7CAD-4FC6-9C60-34EB02B57BCB.png DADDD7ED-45E2-4C2A-9DA0-DDE8EF175C57.png DEB759BC-B75F-4DE0-9E1D-261DA8058121.png

Reactions: 1 users
20170129_134652.jpg

Here's my setup. NVX 10" running off a Kicker KX400.1. I mounted the amp to the box to make it easy to pull it all out. Sounds pretty good for a $50 sub in a $40 box.

Reactions: 1 users
I think @CarMichael Angelo is a audiophile (if thats the correct term) after all, he does have a little japanese kid permanently residing in his back seat. I have the audio upgrade thing on my list for the exxon valdez so I'!! be lurking here for incite too
It's insight.
You might want to look up the other spelling.
And I'm far from an audiophile. I just worked in the industry for 20 years.

Maybe I can replace the speaker in the sub enclosure. I think that’s what’s broken. It only gives a faint pop. So I think it’s the speaker and not the amp.

Soooo, I used to do SPL competitions back in my college days and some of the systems I currently engineer are audio/video installations (like large conference rooms, auditoriums and stages, critical listening rooms, line-array installations, ect). I don't consider myself an audiophile but have "some" experience.

I'm currently rocking an Alpine 10" R-series in my truck and love it. Frequency response is near linear from 25HZ up and it's handling a true 1200+ watts RMS from an old school Directed Audio 1200D amplifier with no problems. I run the R-W10D2 wired in parallel for a 1ohm load on the amp.

I've heard the type-r series from them is also very good, especially for the price.

I've never had good luck with the all-in-one units, as they've always left something desired IMO. You're better off building or buying a sub box specifically designed for your sub and pairing it with a decent class d amp. I'd stick with a sealed enclosure if you want tight, controlled bass. If you want a lot of thumb, nothing beats a large, slot ported box for impact. Or, if you want to go balls out, look at "Tapped Horn" designs (engineered by a great audio engineer called Tom Danley). We use these things in large auditoriums and they are efficient, tight, and hit like crazy.

The best thing I ever did for sound quality in my vehicle was to use a miniDSP C-DSP6x8 unit that allows you to tune each channel and EQ the entire system according to your vehicle. In my truck, I used mine to accept the stock radio input and de-EQ the crappy EQ they have built into the stock unit so to clean up the signal going to my amps. This allowed me to retain all the stock capabilities of the sound system without buying all sorts of adapters to integrate everything to an aftermarket head unit. I then EQ and tune the system from there.

I've got the speaker out of the enclosure and the speaker is blown for sure. Voice coil fused and the cone is seized. It's a 10" speaker and I need to replace it. The enclosure is Infinity Basslink with 200w rms built in amp. I want to match the proper speaker to it but I'm not picky about it being an Infinity part. Any other brand will be fine as long as the specs are compatible The specs of the unit are in the link below but it doesnt say what Ohm. I assume 4 ohm but I don't know how to be sure. What would be a decent replacement for $100 or less? The depth of the blown speaker magnet is 4 5/8" but I can go a little deeper if needed since the enclosure has some extra room. Not a whole lot more though.

Here's the amp specs > https://www.manualslib.com/manual/76936/Infinity-Bass-Link.html?page=3#manual

3FFE1AA0-F77E-4ED4-9FF3-DC15FE687609.jpeg
AA3FA1A9-0509-4D6A-ACEA-88ED62701FC4.jpeg

Last edited:
That sub is a dual voice coil and the original is not. Also some of those all in one's use really low impedance subs that run at 1 or 2 ohms. With that sub being a DVC it can be wired for 2 ohms so it might work. I would put a DVM on the factory sub and see if you can get a idea of the nominal resistance before buying a sub.