Hey all!

Wanted to get some input regarding my plan for my '67 vert. Right now it has the original 289 bored out to a 302 with a 2-barrel carb and C4. Obviously, I want to keep the engine, but I'm thinking about putting a crate motor in there that will push between 350-400 horses. I also want to keep the current C4 so I can rebuild it myself just to learn and then sell it. The current C4 is occasionally starting to skip, and it leaks when I get anywhere near a steep hill or if I've been cruising for a while. It's just a slight drip, but right above the hot exhaust and causes a lot of smoke every time a drop hits which really makes me lose my cool points.

I wanted to know:
a) advice on where to get a good crate motor and not pay an arm and a leg (a specific small block engine would be nice),
b) same for the new C4, and
c) if I'm going to be pushing 400 hp, should I reinforce the frame, and how?

Perhaps a list of what you guys would do if you had the same goal. I know I haven't covered everything!

Lastly, I'm going through the two short power steering hoses coming from the power steering control valve at a rate of about a set per 7-8 months! Are there braided power steering hoses anywhere? Or at least something better than Scott Drake?!

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know where to get the best deal on a crate engine but I personally have had very good dealings with Summit racing on several other parts. They have great customer service and stand behind everything they sell - no hassles.
As far as that much horse power you'll want to check the condition of your frame rails, inner rockers, torque boxes and floors. Since convertibles have no roof to help with strength they have to put more strength under the car. Problem is these convertibles have problems with rust on all the areas I just listed but that does depend on where you live or better where the car lived and how it was maintained. Even if there is no rust there is metal fatigue simply from age. You might consider a frame rail connector.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know where to get the best deal on a crate engine but I personally have had very good dealings with Summit racing on several other parts. They have great customer service and stand behind everything they sell - no hassles.
As far as that much horse power you'll want to check the condition of your frame rails, inner rockers, torque boxes and floors. Since convertibles have no roof to help with strength they have to put more strength under the car. Problem is these convertibles have problems with rust on all the areas I just listed but that does depend on where you live or better where the car lived and how it was maintained. Even if there is no rust there is metal fatigue simply from age. You might consider a frame rail connector.
Thanks tos! The car is in pretty good shape as far as rust goes. Two owners before me had the bottom all sprayed with that black tar-looking stuff. Cowl looks good too, just no idea about the metal fatigue though. It's been in SoCal for at least the last decade or so, but was originally sold in New York. I replaced all the suspension and it's definitely got a stiffer, albeit squeakier, ride. I have no problem with overdoing things just to be safe, so I'll start with a frame rail connector. I'm on Summit all the time, and I like their products as well. Just having trouble finding those hoses. Maybe I'll just make a call. If anyone has any links they can send me, that would be amazing! Thanks again tos!