Backfire after cleaning injectors

Hi, recently bought a 2004 v6 stang and have been having some trouble.

When I first bought the car it was running great, no problems as far as I could tell and I was happy. Then I ran out of gas.

After I refilled it the car was running terribly. Rough idle and felt like the car was really struggling. Replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, egr valve, dpve sensor. Still runs rough.

Cleaned the injectors recently and after putting back everything the car started backfiring through the exhaust.

Anyone know what might be causing the backfire? I want to be able to drive it to clean out all the gunk that might have gotten sucked up when the gas ran out.

• Sponsors (?)

One cause of backfire in the exhaust is late timing. Running very rich (a like a stuck injector or bad O2 sensor) and ignition problems are others. The backfire out the exhaust is from unburned fuel in the exhaust. Before adding more parts, I suggest asking the computer what it sees is wrong (do a code check).
I am not as familiar with that engine, so I will ask if you could have changed the ignition timing and if you can check it anyway.
When a young Ford Tech adjusted my timing to after TDC, the headers glowed from the gas burning in them in addition to your car’s symptoms.

Hi, recently bought a 2004 v6 stang and have been having some trouble.

When I first bought the car it was running great, no problems as far as I could tell and I was happy. Then I ran out of gas.

After I refilled it the car was running terribly. Rough idle and felt like the car was really struggling. Replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, egr valve, dpve sensor. Still runs rough.

Cleaned the injectors recently and after putting back everything the car started backfiring through the exhaust.

Anyone know what might be causing the backfire? I want to be able to drive it to clean out all the gunk that might have gotten sucked up when the gas ran out.

Were you able to figure out what the solution was?

Double and triple check the injector o rings, also, did you multi prime a few seconds each after first getting ready to start it the first time? Also, make sure the rail is fully and completely seated down tight.

Things to try:

Whack and reset the inertia switch once or twice.

Check Gas Cap (simple but happens)

Fully reset battery KAM (disconnect neg battery terminal for a few hours and tap the brake pedal once or twice to discharge while disconnected

Fuel Pump Ground

Vac line that goes to FP Regulator (make sure it's on and getting vacuum)