Bad interior rear view mirror

JJHstang

Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
On my 71 Mach 1 My interior rearview mirror silvering is bad in the lower middle above the day night switch.
I have read the replacement mirrors you buy are cheap and don't last if in hot weather states (Texas). I have also saw some sites that will send you replacement lens if you send in your old one.
Looking for any advice.

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

7991LXnSHO

10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Save the OEM one and get a replacement for driving. That’s not a return I saw unless someone dropped it or they did not get the 3M windshield tan on right and it crashed. If the 73 still has a roof bracket, you’ll be set.

JJHstang

Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
Good idea. I have kept all my old parts.
On the WCCC video on replacing lens the guy said don`t buy a after market even on our web site. He took one and snapped it. He was showing how to get 5th he old lens out and snapped it

7991LXnSHO

10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I have not seen that with the standard FLAPS aftermarket ones, but somebody might be running some cheap repros. Did he custom cut the day/night glass, or what was the recommendation?

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
I honestly wouldn't worry about the rearview mirror not lasting as a repro....the cost is low, so even if it doesn't last as long as the original it really doesn't much matter...but more importantly, its a rearview mirror....I would be far more worried about my upholstery deteriorating quickly if I daily drove my car in a hot state. I need a new rearview mirror myself....but I am holding off because I want more utility from it....I plan to add at least a compass and temp display to it....if I dont add some engine gauge I dont have space for...similar to this:

ntegrated-plx-dm100-boost-afr-gauges-mirror-gauge4.jpg

Nd9GcS7UBEqQST6CIcx9g-HJW5NJTAJj1b3IqIRCQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

you can actually add any digital gauge to a mirror...essentially what you are doing is scraping off the backing and attaching the display to glass...the biggest hurdle in a vintage mustang is running the wire. I am sure someone out there sells a suitable aftermarket mirror though

Attachments

• 2848886617_fd8f86a254.jpg
    2848886617_fd8f86a254.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 40

7991LXnSHO

10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Friendly local auto parts store. I prefer Napa and places that serve mechanics (The Jober shops) because they usually carry a best and OK line of parts.

Reactions: 1 user