Bad interior rear view mirror

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
On my 71 Mach 1 My interior rearview mirror silvering is bad in the lower middle above the day night switch.
I have read the replacement mirrors you buy are cheap and don't last if in hot weather states (Texas). I have also saw some sites that will send you replacement lens if you send in your old one.
Looking for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Save the OEM one and get a replacement for driving. That’s not a return I saw unless someone dropped it or they did not get the 3M windshield tan on right and it crashed. If the 73 still has a roof bracket, you’ll be set.

Good idea. I have kept all my old parts.
On the WCCC video on replacing lens the guy said don`t buy a after market even on our web site. He took one and snapped it. He was showing how to get 5th he old lens out and snapped it

I have not seen that with the standard FLAPS aftermarket ones, but somebody might be running some cheap repros. Did he custom cut the day/night glass, or what was the recommendation?

I honestly wouldn't worry about the rearview mirror not lasting as a repro....the cost is low, so even if it doesn't last as long as the original it really doesn't much matter...but more importantly, its a rearview mirror....I would be far more worried about my upholstery deteriorating quickly if I daily drove my car in a hot state. I need a new rearview mirror myself....but I am holding off because I want more utility from it....I plan to add at least a compass and temp display to it....if I dont add some engine gauge I dont have space for...similar to this:

ntegrated-plx-dm100-boost-afr-gauges-mirror-gauge4.jpg

Nd9GcS7UBEqQST6CIcx9g-HJW5NJTAJj1b3IqIRCQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

you can actually add any digital gauge to a mirror...essentially what you are doing is scraping off the backing and attaching the display to glass...the biggest hurdle in a vintage mustang is running the wire. I am sure someone out there sells a suitable aftermarket mirror though

Attachments

• 2848886617_fd8f86a254.jpg
    2848886617_fd8f86a254.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 82
Friendly local auto parts store. I prefer Napa and places that serve mechanics (The Jober shops) because they usually carry a best and OK line of parts.

Reactions: 1 user