Bad struts? Need some advice/help

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
ok so I have 90 5.0 with completely stock suspension yet..from what i can tell..def. the shocks and struts..don't know about springs, but im guessing they are..
For awhile, when i start gaining some speed..like probably over 40mph...my wheel hopes up and down..vibrates..its not a shimmy to the left and right, its up and down...
Would this be my struts being bad?? i know my rear shocks were leaking too so..
I'd like to do my shocks and struts, but I don't have tons of money, and I don't need anything crazy... I hear kyb is pretty basic...or tokico hp's?? What would you reccomend? I don't have money to spend on springs, so im leaving the stock springs in...so whatever setup would work best with those i guess..
Also, I've never done shocks or struts, but I mean i did brakes and i rebuilt my engine and stuff so I know some stuff.. Is it a tough job?
And while im in there with stuff apart, is there anything i should be replacing at that time? I dont need crazy upgrades, just basic stuff to help improve and give me a sweet ride... I'm not familiar with alot of suspension parts, so a write up somewhere would probably be nice..
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If your front tires are bouncing up and down at 40 mph i would have a look at the actual tires themselves. Perhaps the tire balance is off or your tire is seperating. Do you feel the vibration in your steering wheel?

yea thats what i mean, the steering wheel shakes up and down fast...
i don't think its a balancing issue...
would no one say thats my struts??? if they are stock, thats 17 years old..

What happens when you hit 70 or 80mph? does the vibration go away completly or does it still shake the steering wheel slightly?? I just had this problem a few days ago and went to the shop and did a quick balance on my front tires, The sticky weights i use fell off :rolleyes: So i had to put new ones on, took care of my vibrating issue since it only happend at about 50 to 60 mph. The rear shocks are pretty simple to install and the fronts should be simple also. When you do install these parts I would recoment you get an alignment. Good luck :nice:

If the wheel and tire looks like a bouncing basketball being dribbled really close to the ground, that can indeed be bad dampers. The dampers are shot and when you ride on springs alone, there's bounce.

I went with HP's and have been very happy, even with lowering springs in place.

Good luck.

is it cool to keep the stock springs in there tho? i dont have money for them...
also is there anythign else i should replace while im there? like when im buying 2 shocks, and 2 struts, is there anythign else i need...for replacing.. i know theres bushings but i have no idea where they are and/or for... im not good with suspension.