Base idle reset?

JustA5.0

May 12, 2007
Toronto, ON
When resetting the base idle and checking the TPS, you are supposed to disconnect the negative of the battery first to clear the computers memory, correct?

Only reason I ask is I read somewhere where it said to disconnect the negative terminal after setting the base idle and checking TPS. Which didn't seem to make much sense to me, but it was a well written clip wherever I did read it from.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually your thread is where I got this confusion

Under section 2. another user is quoted...
(copied from MustangMax, Glendale AZ)
C.) Always reset the computer whenever you adjust the TPS or clean/change any sensors. I just pull the battery lead for 10 minutes.

D.) The key is to adjust the TPS voltage and reset the computer whenever the idle screw is changed.

Which sounds to me, like the computer should be reset after checking TPS voltage, and making idle adjustments.

But I was originally referred to the following website when I first started researching surging idles. MusclecarMustangs - resetting base idle
The first three steps before any adjustments made, are:
1. Disconnect the battery's negative terminal to reset/clear the computer's memory. Leave it disconnected for 30 minutes. WARNING: Whenever removing your battery cables ALWAYS disconnect the negative battery cable first and reconnect it last. Otherwise you could destroy your computer or cause a battery explosion.
2. Disconnect the plug going to your idle motor which is located on the front of your throttle body.
3. Reconnect your battery's negative terminal.

So, jrichker am I to reset the computer before or after my adjustments, or both. To me it doesn't make sense to reset the computer after you have let it know where you have things set, but your thread is quite detailed. Thus my confusion...

Reset the computer after making adjustments. Thanks for the input, I will make changes to clarify things.

The process I used is not the Ford recommended proceedure. It is a workaround for cars with 12 years of wear and 12 different modifications of things Ford never intended to be modified on a pollution controlled vehicle. The age and modifications tend to work against using a nice, clean factory proceedure that is the ideal standard.

the PDF in my last post is the Ford Factory proceedure for idle adjustment on a Mass Air system.
Sorry I did read the file, but it seemed more of a dealer service bulletin. I don't have an external tachometer, nor color coded orifice plugs (not sure what they are even). Ty for the link though

jrichker said:
Reset the computer after making adjustments. Thanks for the input, I will make changes to clarify things.
I will reset the comp after everything is done. :nice: