Base Idle Reset

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I'd like to post this for all the newer mustang owners and the others like me that never took the base idle reset seriously. I've had multiple engines and various setups but never once done the base idle reset. I just replaced the lifters in my car after having one collapse. I thought the bottom end had come apart because of the violent knocking coming from it.
So I did what some of us typically do. I turned a two day protect into a couple week extended project. There's a few rules in my projects. Never put fasteners back in without wire brushing them. This helps them go back in smoothly. Clean out the holes they came out of. Clean surfaces where gaskets go until you are tired of cleaning them.... then clean them one more time. Paint or repaint anything that's removed if possible. If not... clean clean clean. Dielectric grease every time. Anti seize everywhere applicable. Before reassembly check everything several times. Don't put off doing things till later because half the time that thing will cause you problems right off the bat.
So base idle reset. Just for the fun of it I watched every video I could find on this. I also read all the step by step posts I could find. I pasted every one of these texts into separate documents. So what did I find? All of them left out at least one step. The omits were random. As in they all left out something different. All of them. Some meant to leave it out I guess and some might have assumed you'd just do it. I'd rather have every single step and I'll decide if I want to skip steps.
These step need to be done in a specific order for a reason.
Results: my car doesn't stall every time I stop for the first time in years. The idle is perfect. You can just tell things are set correctly.
The other thing I remembered is that I like this car much better if it's not my daily driver. I bought it new and have been driving it since 1988. It's been back and forth as primary and occasional. It's about 1k miles from having 400k on it.
Anyway, do yourself a favor and do the reset!

• Sponsors(?)

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
So how does the 'base idle reset' in the 'surging idle checklist' stack up?
Is it complete?
If not can you give us a break down of the complete procedure?

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
So how does the 'base idle reset' in the 'surging idle checklist' stack up?
Is it complete?
If not can you give us a break down of the complete procedure?
It's included in the has something missing crowd. I'm gonna type it all out at some point. I'm just hoping i don't miss a step.... :rlaugh:
Brew2L's video is actually very good and easy to follow. He made a new video recently and said he forgot to include one thing in that old vid so you'd have to watch both to get all of it.

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
It's included in the has something missing crowd. I'm gonna type it all out at some point. I'm just hoping i don't miss a step.... :rlaugh:
Brew2L's video is actually very good and easy to follow. He made a new video recently and said he forgot to include one thing in that old vid so you'd have to watch both to get all of it.
Since I am the guy who created the Surging Idle Checklist, I would be very interested ion seeing what you felt was an omission.

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Since I am the guy who created the Surging Idle Checklist, I would be very interested ion seeing what you felt was an omission.
@jrichker I know you created it. I've been here for a long time. Your info is excellent. As i said though, if you go thru all the write-ups that i found and then a couple vids, they all vary. That's odd since this particular process needs to go in an exact order to give the computer the proper reset info. And I'm only referring to the base idle reset part.
I'm gonna write the process out when i can. It's not to replace yours. It's to take all them and make one list in order with all the steps no matter how small.

vrm71

Dec 13, 2017
Sacramento
I don't understand the purpose of your post if you don't tell what the missing step is? You took the time to go through all the posts and vids on the subject to then post on here that somethings missing and you'll maybe, sometime get around to letting everyone know?

Wayne Waldrep

15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I'll tell you. Everyone here knows I have a terminally ill family member that I take care of 24/7. Been going on for a year this month. I have hit and miss times to do every aspect of my life. I had to get my car running and was happy I did. I was encouraging others to do the reset. When I have time I will sit and go thru all this stuff and post it. Till then think what you want. I have serious things to worry about other than what you think of my post.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: General karthief