battery relocation hook-ups

derek4343

Aug 8, 2001
bel air,md.
for those of you that moved your battery to the trunk,what did you do under the hood with your connections. did you mount them to some type of terminal and where did you get it? i don't want to remove cover for a hot shot or run other things to the trunk for hook-ups.

• Sponsors (?)

You don't have to change any of your connections under the hood. Simply run a long cable from the battery to the original positive and ground points and viola!

i did that. i just don't want the hook-up hanging in the air. i was hoping to find some kind of connection point for the wires like the older starter relays had that way if someone or me needed a hot shot i wouldn't have to do it from the trunk.

i did that. i just don't want the hook-up hanging in the air. i was hoping to find some kind of connection point for the wires like the older starter relays had that way if someone or me needed a hot shot i wouldn't have to do it from the trunk.

Hanging in the air? You misunderstand what I'm saying. As turbogt said, the original positive cable connected directly to the power distribution box so run the new positive cable there. The original ground cable connected to the block and the frame so connect there with the new ground cables. Obviously you'll have to remove the old cables and discard them.

I ran my new battery cable from the trunk to the starter, and used the existing (underhood) wire that went from the battery to the starter to connect the starter to the power distrubution box. In this way the starter wire run to the battery is as short as possible (i.e. not going from trunk to under hood to starter). I use my CC plates underhood as a ground and the hookup for the power distributtin box as my (+) for jumping others or getting jumped. Or I can get jumped from the trunk in jiffy also.:nice: Oh and my battery ground is to the framerail where the quadshock bracket used to mount. But you can mount that in the trunk too if you want.

I would highly caution a person from grounding the battery in the trunk. You want as clean a ground as possible to be run directly to the block in order to eliminate noise and any gremlins that are likely to pop up. In my experience, a poor ground is the culprit for 90% of electrical issues.