Battery relocation kit

radartec

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Northern CA
Just purchased a battery relocation kit and wondering where in the hatch is the best place to put it? Right in the center does not seem to work because the spare is there. So the side right behind the rear seat seems to be the choice. Anyone one else already have one mounted and did you run the lead inside or outside the car?

• Sponsors (?)

I would mount it right behind the passanger side rear seat. When it is on the other side of the axle, you are decreasing the handling effect by moving weight outward from the center of the car.
QUOTE=ssjmaverick23]why would you want to relocate the battery any way?[/QUOTE]
better weight distribution, more weight over the rear tires. Increased handling and better traction off the line. Why wouldn't you want to relocate the battery!?!

I have heard to peel out down the road and see which tire spins the most (most tread left). Then put the battery above that wheel.

I guess this is for straight line racing (drag) though as it might effect handling as bhuff said. But isn't your battery alreading on one side of your car up front anyways?

By removing roughly 40 lbs off the front and moving it to the rear you change the weight distribution by 1%. That helps weight transfer on acceleration and handling.

But make sure you get some beefy cables, Most kits I have seen use crappy cables. My friend gave me his extra kit and a length of high amp welding cable that he thinks is better than the cable with the kit.

ssjmaverick23 said:
why would you want to relocate the battery any way?

You know all the other arguments I heard i.e handling, weight distribution, etc make perfect sense. But mainly I am relocating it to get the space I need to mount my water/methanol injection pump and resevoir. 10lbs boost is not enough.