BBK long tube headers install

hiimt0ny

Dec 29, 2005
So i'm installing my BBK Longtube headers, and i'm having an impossible time trying to reconnect the EGR tube to the driver's side header. I can get it cross threaded down quite a bit, but not all the way. Me n my friend have been workin on this problem for two hours now and have no luck. My dad thinks the nut and the fitting have different threadings, causing it not to line up. My friend thinks we may have just stripped the thread from trying too damn much, which he suggested we try having it re-threaded, but don't know how we would do that. I've been tossing around a few ideas and trying to figure out what would be the best/easiest.. please give your feedback:

A) Cross thread the nut down as much as possible using some sort of hi-temp thread sealer/hi-temp sealant/cement on it to try to keep exhaust gases from leaking

B) Cut the EGR tube and HOPE that the nut actually fits after having more movement, then put a penny in the nut to seal it off at the header, then put in a plate to block off the EGR at the intake (main question here is, what about those vacuum lines, or whatever they are, attached to the tube? do i just leave them there? etc)

C) Weld shut the opening on the header and do the same for the end of the EGR tube (going to be difficult to do since i don't have a welder readily available and would hafta borrow one from a friend)

P.S. it's an '02 GT 5-speed, and yes, we detached the EGR valve from the intake to give a slight bit more flexibility.
would like to keep the egr system functional if possible.

• Sponsors (?)

I think we had to loosen the header up...but I know it was a PAIN to get it to work. Do NOT keep cross threading though...the more you do that the harder it will be to actually get it on straight.
If all else fails, loosen the header...if that doesn't work bust out a torch an bend it a little...I know we did that at one point but I'm
not sure if it was when we built my turbo headers or back when I had the BBKs on

when i installed mine, we disconnected the egr tube from the plenum and put it on the header, then forced it back on to the plenum.
it will still be difficult to get on to the header because it has to be lined up exactly, you should also be able to bend it a little bit.

oh man, i feel sorry for you, i did the bbk lt install and it was a huge pain in the ass, please tell me that you removed the original exhaust manifold studs and are replacing them with locking fasteners, and to answer your question, my egr tube didnt go on the header until i had it completely sinched down... i got so pissed trying to finagle it on during the install that i finally said f*** it and torqued everything down, then it threaded down no problem, hope this helps

I did shortys on mine and it gave me a bit of a fit and I had the motor out of the car when I did my pi engine swap this past weekend, mine felt like it cross threaded when i started to thread it to header but all went well though. 32valverom yes it does make a difference in sound with any header, mine has a deeper tone with the pi motor, I love it

Went through the same thing with my Mac's first the EGR fitting wouldn't come out of the stock manifold so we had to use a breaker , big cheater and hold the manifold down w/ a Chrysler Sebring. :D After we got that problem fixed the tube wouldn't fit. So then we cut it and spliced in a piece of that blue high temp silicone hose and that worked for awhile. Somehow the EGR fitting backed out of the header one day:shrug: After that I decided the EGR was more of a pain than it was worth and deleted it like I should of from the get go. There are several companies out there that make the kits. If I remember right I got mine at lethal performance for around a $20.

Definitely try attaching the header side first with the plenum side loose. That always worked for me. If you're getting a new tune now, I'd go ahead and get rid of the EGR system. I trashed mine and I'm not missing it a bit. Like you said, just cut the nut off the EGR tube and use a penny to seal the hole. (I work at a rare coin company, so I found me an old Lincoln wheat cent, which is actually 95% copper, as opposed to 1982-date Lincoln cents which are only 0.8% copper. :nice:) You can take the rest of the EGR assembly off and put a plate over the hole in the plenum. Just leave the wiring harness unplugged, and plug the vacuum line. To plug mine, I just cut the line and used a lighter to melt it shut. Now, I just have my boost gauge plugged into where that line used to go.

I have to ask, do aftermarket longtubes play a big role in how the car sounds?

It makes the car sound better than anything IMO. They are just A PAIN in the butt to get in. Once you finally get them matched up with the holes you have like an inch it feels like to get them bolted down.

As for the EGR. Heat it up a little if you can and bend it carefully. I want to apologize to you and your friend. I think putting in a motor is an easier install then that damn near.