Best Cam For A Stock Gt?

• Sponsors (?)

The stock cam will do all of those things except provide more "noise".

I don't think... Nope, I'm certain that I've never bought a cam based upon how much noise it made. :O_o:

There is no cam that you can drop in amidst all of those stock parts that is going to provide "a good boost in HP without having to add other mods".

That is not what cams do. Cams (when properly selected) are the lynch pin that ties all of your other carefully selected components together to complete the package. The cam that is currently installed in your motor, does a very good job of that exact thing. The ONLY reason to replace the cam would be to support other mods that your current cam does not have the profile to make use of.

If your GT is a 96+, you actually have two cams.

Usually cams are matched to the combo. if you are looking for engine lope, just pull a vacuum line.

If your GT is stock, I'd invest elsewhere first, such as a plenum and throttle body.

If your GT is a 96-98, I would look into doing a PI swap consisting of 99-04 heads, cams and aftermarket plenum/TB. You'll get a much bigger HP gain here, vs just swapping in two cams on a stock GT

Cams in a pi car can be worth 30Hp or so. Which isn't bad for the overall investment. 600-800 bucks depending on how much work you can do yourself. There isn't much else other than n20 that will net that kind of result (not counting a tune of course).

Anything you do will have to have "supporting mods". This isn't the "cam only" ls world. lolz. Plenum, throttle body, gears, exhaust etc are all required to maximize any aftermarket cam. If the cam doesn't need those supporting parts, they likely are not worth the cost.

The other questions are do you want to stay NA or put a power adder on. That will effect cam specs as well.