Best Generic Odb2 Code Reader/scanner

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
I'm looking to purchase a code reader/scanner and I'm looking for something I can use on not just my Mustang but all kinds of different cars. What do you guys think is the best all around unit that can do ODB2/CAN bus and maybe do ABS/Trans as well ?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm willing to spend a decent amount. On a simple scanner I'd like to keep it under 200. I'm not really into the Snapon Modis or Solis platforms as it seems for the price I'd be better off with a laptop solution. I don't have a hard limit but I'm looking for something that can do basically everything. I am looking at the autoenginuity package right now because I want something that I can expand later if I need more functionality or a new standard comes out. The main thing I don't like about this solution is that it isn't a hand held. I don't want to have to bring my laptop everywhere to diagnose stuff. At the same time, I like being able to use a laptop to do the work because if I want to pay for an update it will be cheap and upgrading later will be very affordable.

I guess what I want right now is something that will work on most vehicles that is a hand held. I'll likely get the autoenginuity solution later.

Based on your description, you might want to look into a Blutooth reader. You can get them off of e-bay cheap. Be somewhat cautios though... don't buy the chepaest deal you find...

Anyhow... Android and Iphone both have apps that interface with these BT readers. There are several to choose from and you'll need to look through the ratings and descriptions and figure out which app has the features that you like the best.

The one I ended up getting has a TON of instant data that I can look at while driving but even more important to me, was the app that gave me the ability to data log. I have a 64G data card in my phone. I'll tell ya... that's a LOT of FN data logging. LOL

Check it out and see if something like that will suit your needs. If not, there are certainly other possibilities out there for readers.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen the bluetooth ones but I wanat to have something completely self contained in case I need to loan it out to a friend (I can count on 1 hand the friends I would trust to loan any of my tools to). I don't want to get roped into setting it all up for someone else or having to go read the codes for them. I suppose if I got a bluetooth one cheap enough I could just keep that for myself and get something else....

How much does the app cost ?

I've seen the bluetooth ones but I wanat to have something completely self contained in case I need to loan it out to a friend (I can count on 1 hand the friends I would trust to loan any of my tools to). I don't want to get roped into setting it all up for someone else or having to go read the codes for them. I suppose if I got a bluetooth one cheap enough I could just keep that for myself and get something else....

How much does the app cost ?

You can spend $4.95 for something like Torque2 Pro to like $49.95 for DashCommand. It depends on what features you want.

I would look at O'Reilies (sp) for a hand-held. The ones at Sears etc. appear to me at least, to have fewer features but cost more. The parts stores carry a bunch of different ones and then, you're only looking at price vs. features.

I don't have a single favorite that I would steer you too. The one(s) that I would REALLY like to have?... They all cost WAY over $200 (i.e. $800 - $1k) but they also do more than just read codes.