Best GT gauge bezel and dash pad

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Need some direction on quality gauge panel and dash pad. I'm looking for the GT type gauge panel with black camera case. Got a $40 one off ebay to play with. Its made by All Classic Parts. It's decent, had a couple of scratches and a small chip in the chrome. I'm opening up the holes to fit 2 5/8 guages. I figure I'll mess it up so I want one more for my final and looking for a good one.

Also want a solid dash pad. Doesn't need to be a ford tooling if a repo is just a good. Just want quality fit and materials.

Looking for suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

What year? Mustangs To Fear has a really nice dash pad that can be ordered with the gauge pod built in, but I think it's only for 67-68.

My bad. Its a 1965. I'm most likely getting the ford tooling one on cj pony parts. Good reviews and decent price.

I'm going to make my own pod for a my Autometer Pro Comp mechanical oil and brake pressure and tach angled toward me.

The bezel I have is 100% plastic. Can't remember if the originals were plastic or not.

If you are adding 3 gauges, you may want to consider a 6 gauge cluster like mine:
20210427_191720-1-jpg.806768

I also modified the ash tray to become a flip-down gauge pod for my dual channel AFR gauge as well as used the console I built to house my mechanical clock gauge and my vac/boost gauge. You can fit a lot of gauges without adding pods to the dash or steering column or A-pillar

If you are adding 3 gauges, you may want to consider a 6 gauge cluster like mine:
20210427_191720-1-jpg.806768

I also modified the ash tray to become a flip-down gauge pod for my dual channel AFR gauge as well as used the console I built to house my mechanical clock gauge and my vac/boost gauge. You can fit a lot of gauges without adding pods to the dash or steering column or A-pillar

I really wish they made those gauge bezels with a single large and four 2 5/8. I like the larger gauges. It will be a part time track car and need to see without squinting in my older age. The two mechanical gauges I want on a dash pod are my oil pressure and brake line pressure. Really the 2 most important in my brain for racing and I'd like to have those at eye level just off the right slightly turned toward me.

I do like the GT bezel because it has the old school look and matches my GT glove box.

I really wish they made those gauge bezels with a single large and four 2 5/8. I like the larger gauges. It will be a part time track car and need to see without squinting in my older age. The two mechanical gauges I want on a dash pod are my oil pressure and brake line pressure. Really the 2 most important in my brain for racing and I'd like to have those at eye level just off the right slightly turned toward me.

I do like the GT bezel because it has the old school look and matches my GT glove box.
It really wouldn't be hard to modify an aftermarket 5 gauge bezel to accept 2 5/8" gauges(could probably do it with the stock one for that matter). Its funny, this 6-gauge Scott Drake bezel I am using I don't like because its based on the GT cluster...the GT cluster is pretty terrible IMO compared to the base model cluster...not because of the gauge design, but because the cluster housing is a hideous slab that sticks out an inch from the dash unlike the base model cluster that follows the curve of the dash and is much more aesthetically pleasing. I need a 6 gauge cluster...but I am actually only using this one temporarily, I figure I will have to make my own cluster that is based off the base model curves before I am happy. I actually cut the trim off my original 6 cylinder cluster to use as the basis for my future cluster project...besides, the cluster is a sore point with me because its virtually the only plastic piece I have left in my interior(well, that and my shift knob...but I plan on making a custom knob from granite)...I can't stand plastic in a classic car beyond vinyl(which is actually plastic covered cloth, but acceptable because it doesnt look or feel like plastic.)

P.S. There is another possibility...I have a standalone ECU and one of the things it can do is use bluetooth to connect to tablet or phone, so I am able to use the HUD mode to project engine parameters onto the windshield like this:

1639588531299.jpeg

It is quite possible that someone out there sells some type of HUD compatible gauge or display that would work for you. All you would need to do is modify the speaker grill to insert a HUD gauge or device and install some HUD film on the windshield.

Last edited:
It really wouldn't be hard to modify an aftermarket 5 gauge bezel to accept 2 5/8" gauges(could probably do it with the stock one for that matter). Its funny, this 6-gauge Scott Drake bezel I am using I don't like because its based on the GT cluster...the GT cluster is pretty terrible IMO compared to the base model cluster...not because of the gauge design, but because the cluster housing is a hideous slab that sticks out an inch from the dash unlike the base model cluster that follows the curve of the dash and is much more aesthetically pleasing. I need a 6 gauge cluster...but I am actually only using this one temporarily, I figure I will have to make my own cluster that is based off the base model curves before I am happy. I actually cut the trim off my original 6 cylinder cluster to use as the basis for my future cluster project...besides, the cluster is a sore point with me because its virtually the only plastic piece I have left in my interior(well, that and my shift knob...but I plan on making a custom knob from granite)...I can't stand plastic in a classic car beyond vinyl(which is actually plastic covered cloth, but acceptable because it doesnt look or feel like plastic.)

P.S. There is another possibility...I have a standalone ECU and one of the things it can do is use bluetooth to connect to tablet or phone, so I am able to use the HUD mode to project engine parameters onto the windshield like this:

1639588531299.jpeg

It is quite possible that someone out there sells some type of HUD compatible gauge or display that would work for you. All you would need to do is modify the speaker grill to insert a HUD gauge or device and install some HUD film on the windshield.

Yeah my the cluster I got is an APC one, decent quality but is 100% plastic, guess its not too bad since it just sits there and it saves weight. The glove box door I got is also from ACP and it is heavy, almost too heavy to be in a track car. I am going to probably pull it and other heavy things depending on how serious of a track day it will be.

I like the HUD idea. I'm going to be doing a button panel on the steering wheel using a wireless andrino nano.