Best Performance Cam ?

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
I have a GT-40 Ford Racing Crate Motor with B-303 cam in my 93 GT Mustang.
I'm thinking of putting a more aggresive cam in at some time.
My car is street legal, emissions here in Massachusetts won't be an issue after this year. I mainly use my car for drag racing, not a daily driver.
What cam would give me the most horsepower for drag racing with the motor that I have? Or is the set up that I have now just about all I can get out of it.
I have seen that there is a x303 and a z303 from Ford Racing.
Would these cams work with my motor?
What type of work and changes would the cam swap involve?
I have never done one.
Thanks for all the help.

• Sponsors (?)

What cam would give me the most horsepower for drag racing with the motor that I have? Or is the set up that I have now just about all I can get out of it.
There's only a handful of people in the world QUALIFIED to answer that question...

If you are serious about getting THE BEST cam for your application, then look at the custom cam grinders.
Jay Allen is grinding my cam (there is a link to his site in my sig)
Ed Curtis is another custom grinder...

Custom cams are more expensive, but you will KNOW that the cam will perform

I have read too many threads about guys with the Ford alphabet cams having idle/drivability issues to think they are decent cams...

just my opinion,
jason

If I were you Id step up to the E Cam. Unless your getting bigger heads or forced induction. Anything higher than an E will cause poor idle and will only really be good for high rpm, but also wont matter if it doesnt match the flow characteristics of your engine. What are your mods??

I thought the b-303 cam was more aggresive than the e-303.
I won't be adding forced induction.
My set up is
1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / 24 lb. Injectors / Stock Ignition / MSD EFI Blaster Coil / Edelbrock 5.0 Upper and Lower Intake with BBK Phelonic Spacer / Professional Products 70mm Throttle Body / C&L C.A.I. w/76mm MAF / Stock Air Box w/K&N Panel Filter / Holley Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator / Electric Fan / BBK Underdrive Pulley's / A.C. Removed / BBK Short Headers / Flowmaster Exhaust / Tremec T-5Z / B&M Short Throw Shifter / Alum. Driveshaft / 3.73 Gears / Eaton H.D. Posi / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / Line Lock / Driveshaft Loop / B&M Short Throw Shifter / Racing Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/ Holley 190 lph Fuel Pump /