• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Best plug wires?

  • Thread starter Thread starter steemin
  • Start date Start date Mar 21, 2006

steemin

Member
Apr 21, 2005
201
0
17
Ft. Wayne Indiana
Mar 21, 2006
#1
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #1
I am currently fighting a arcing issue with my current (brand new)
set of red Ford Racing plug wires. Arcs at the boot as well as arcing on the valve covers..
This is for a FRPP 347c.i./450hp alum Z head crate engine w/6AL MSD.
The car also has headers which make for a VERY tight fit between the 65 shock towers...
I need a set of plugs that do well with heat and limited space...
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott
 
B

BadAndy

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2001
766
0
0
Ohio
Mar 21, 2006
#2
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #2
I use the motorsport wires , with no problems, on 2 cars
I dont know what to tell you
 

backfocus

Member
Sep 3, 2004
254
3
18
Little Rock, AR
Mar 21, 2006
#3
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #3
I also have FRPP Wires and have had good and bad with them. I am on my 3 pair and was fighting a heat issue with the boot melting, then arching. I think it is fixed and here is what I did.

1. I had my headers coated at Jet Hot, not only looks good but drops temps on the header a bit.

2. Use heat sleaves for the boots. Sold at Summit or wherever.

The first set of wire I got from FRPP was bad they had an arching issue so I sent them back to Year One. You might have got a bad set it happens. I like the wires because of fit, looks and good performance. You might also try some MSD wires. But I would go the route of sleaves first, maybe Coated headers second if you still have a problem.

If it is tight in there that means it will trap heat, hence burning wires.

Hope that helps.

Nice car too!!!
 

90lxcoupe

20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 7, 2003
3,596
350
134
Mar 21, 2006
#4
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #4
is it all the pulg wires that are giving you trouble or just one or 2? If your saying that the headers are a tight fit then i really dowbt that you want to take them out and have them coated, i would assume those are long tubes. the coating is a good idea but i have uncoated headers and MSD wires and i never had any problems, but i also had ford racing wires and i never had a problem with those either.

only reason i bought MSD's is cause mustangs unlimited didnt have the FRPP ones in stock. you probally got a bad set of wires send em back.
 

steemin

Member
Apr 21, 2005
201
0
17
Ft. Wayne Indiana
Mar 21, 2006
#5
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #5
Thanks for the replies.
My headers are long tubes that are ceramic coated inside and outside.
It doesn't appear as if every boot has a spark arcing problem.
Most of the arcing is coming from the back 2 boots on the drivers side.
However on the passenger side at least one of the wires themselves has a spark arcing to the valve cover and this is no where near the boot
I guess maybe I do have a bad set of wires.
My primary concerns in selecting a new set would be:

A) I don't think I can go with any boot that has a larger diameter than the current set of Ford Racing wires.

B) I want to have as much heat protection as possible..

Suggestions?
Scott
 

carbed87

Member
Jun 5, 2005
215
0
16
Mar 21, 2006
#6
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #6
yeah, msd's always worked great for me.
 

troyGT03

New Member
Feb 22, 2004
278
0
0
too close to memphis,tn
Mar 21, 2006
#7
  • Mar 21, 2006
  • #7
i have had many cars with motorsports wires with absolutely no probs. i have had probs with taylor wires and their boots. try livewires. they are a bit pricey but are built with good heat suppression for boots and wires. found the link http://www.performancedistributors.com/livewire.htm . these are my next buy when/if my motorsports wires fail.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
355
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
J
For Sale MASTER LISTING: Abandoned '66 Mustang Restomod Part-Out (Wilwood, Ididit, Quick Performance, Mishimoto)
  • JasonB66
  • Jul 23, 2026
  • Suspension
Replies
0
Views
239
Suspension Jul 23, 2026
JasonB66
J
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
347
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Engine Spark plug wire recommendation
  • limp
  • Apr 19, 2023
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 21, 2023
limp
A
Fox Planning on building my foxbody and was wondering if I can get any tips or anything to watch out for!
  • Angelq1028
  • Oct 31, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3 4
Replies
76
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 29, 2025
Robman8028
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?