best shocks and struts for ride quality

What are the best struts and shocks for ride quality in a fox? Mine rides like a POS now and its all stock (prolly still from got the shocks from 15 years ago, lol) but yeah you can feel every bump etc etc. so thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

408stroker5.0 said:
For ride quality and performance Edelbrock makes a nice shock. There is alot of other good one's out there as well, but what I really want to say is stay away from Monroe stuff. There Junk.

alright thanks a lot. anyone else have any input? i'm looking for the most progressive rate springs i can find.....anyone know where to get? or which kind?

custom89stang said:
alright thanks a lot. anyone else have any input? i'm looking for the most progressive rate springs i can find.....anyone know where to get? or which kind?

You want springs, or you want shocks? What is it? I was just insuring that you do not buy Monroe man that's all. I have no experience with a good ride quality shock/strut since I've been using Drag Shock's most of my life.

408stroker5.0 said:
You want springs, or you want shocks? What is it? I was just insuring that you do not buy Monroe man that's all. I have no experience with a good ride quality shock/strut since I've been using Drag Shock's most of my life.

i'm just looking for the best ride quality over all. I assume it is my shocks and struts i should be worried about. So i'm looking for the best ride quality ones...

by the way, i am aware that foxes do have bad ride quality compared to the newer models....i just think mine is really really bad, it shakes everything in my car when i go over a pot hole or a minor bump....so yeah any help would be awesome on what shocks and struts to get...that would absorb the most shock or w/e (or be the most progressive, not talking about springs, just using the meaning)

I have a set of Koni's on my stang and they ride and handle great. You may also want to consider changing the front spring rate on your car. I put some 6 cylinder springs on a 86 GT I had and it made for a MUCH nicer ride. I also tried 4 cylinder springs in the back but I went back to the GT springs. The rear springs were too soft for me.

Gears

I HAVE AN 89 HATCH WITH KONI SHOCKS AND EIBACH SPORTLINE SPRINGS. I LIKE THE RIDE. WITH THE KONI SHOCKS YOU CAN AJUST THE RIDE. WHEN I DO SOME SERIOUS DRIVING I GIVE THE THEM LESS PLAY AND WHEN I AM DOING THE DAILY DRIVER THING I GIVE THEM A LITTLE MORE PLAY. I ENJOY THE RIDE EITHER WAY.

There's a basic Tokico kit out there that includes shocks, struts, and springs that rides and handles well and isn't very expensive at all. I have them installed and was impressed with the difference over stock. I think that there is a similar new thread on the Tokicos.

How old are your tires?

I bought my '92 GT last year and it had some Goodyear Eagles on it. The tread was getting low and they had a few small cracks in the rubber, so I decided to replace them with Yoko AVS ES-100s. The ride difference is night and day! So, if your tires are old, you might want to replace them.

From my research, two of the best struts for ride quality are the Bilsteins and Tokicos (both the adjustable and non-adjustable versions)...

DJ

dj14901 said:
I bought my '92 GT last year and it had some Goodyear Eagles on it. The tread was getting low and they had a few small cracks in the rubber, so I decided to replace them with Yoko AVS ES-100s. The ride difference is night and day! So, if your tires are old, you might want to replace them.

From my research, two of the best struts for ride quality are the Bilsteins and Tokicos (both the adjustable and non-adjustable versions)...

DJ

my tires are really new. put on svt chrome cobra 2003's and it came with new tires i believe i put them on beginning of last summer.

I've got Bullitt springs and kyb shocks/struts..the ride is great, handling is perfect for what I do. My car only comes out on sunny days on weekends. The bullitt spring/tokico combo is suppose to be great for a fox body..I didn't do tokico's due to the kyb's being ~3 month's when the bullitt spring became available.

Jim

Bilstiens are the best daily driver. Self adjusting sport valving is superior technology. They are more money, but they also have a lifetime garantee. How many shocks out there can you buy just once, and use them forever? It's important that you get springs that were made to give an optimal wheel rate when working with your specific shocks, or vise versa. Springs and shocks should be bought as a package for the best results in handling and ride quality with the least compromises.

stangbear427 said:
Bilstiens are the best daily driver. Self adjusting sport valving is superior technology. They are more money, but they also have a lifetime garantee. How many shocks out there can you buy just once, and use them forever? It's important that you get springs that were made to give an optimal wheel rate when working with your specific shocks, or vise versa. Springs and shocks should be bought as a package for the best results in handling and ride quality with the least compromises.

thanks for the tips stangbear....now i'm leaning towards bilsteins...cuz i want the best ride quality....just a daily driver....with a few extra horses...