Best sounding/value/quality exhaust?

Opnion time and feedback. Looking to change up the mustang exhuast. Currently have a catless H pipe with Flowmaste 44s on it. Like the sound but want something more cleaner sounding. Debating on buying a Bassani carted X Pipe with some Bassani 4840 stainless mufflers. I know Bassani was hot back in the day but do they still live up to there Rep? What are you running and any opinions are welcome!

• Sponsors (?)

I like my BBK stuff( headers and catted x pipe) , I run Slp loudmouth catback,it's loud above 2,000 rpms. The quality and value are exceptional.

Honestly, my catted Bassani Xpipe with Flowmaster American thunder sounds pretty badass. It's an older A/T catback (around 20 years old) so I beleive it came with super 40's back then.

Unfortunately i'll be swapping them to Borla Pro XS mufflers though. I want it a tad quieter.

Bassani makes good stuff, but there are some drawbacks. I've installed one of their stainless cat backs with a friend on his Fox LX back in the mid 2000's.

The good:
Their materials are top notch, and fit is quite good. The tailpipes are larger diameter than most which looks really good especially on the cars where you can see the pipes from the side. The mufflers are a straight-through design which is supposed to be the best for performance according to the magazine tests. Depending the system, they used to come with baffles that you can stuff into the tailpipes to quiet it down if necessary (never used those).

The bad:
They use a different tailpipe routing than stock. This can complicate the use of some suspension upgrades like the MM panhard bar. They are really expansive now. There were always expansive (around $700), but they jacked up the prices to crazy levels a couple of years ago. Also, they're not so easy to find anymore since the market is shrinking - so there isn't much competition on the pricing.

Considerations: The sound is unique. You should check out some youtube videos for clips. With a stock 5.0 HO, stock exhaust manifolds, and a cat'ed X-pipe, the volume level was low to moderate (louder than stock, but not crazy). With an off-road H it was fairly loud, but tolerable.

Opnion time and feedback. Looking to change up the mustang exhuast. Currently have a catless H pipe with Flowmaste 44s on it. Like the sound but want something more cleaner sounding. Debating on buying a Bassani carted X Pipe with some Bassani 4840 stainless mufflers. I know Bassani was hot back in the day but do they still live up to there Rep? What are you running and any opinions are welcome!
I installed the Bassani catted X-pipe on my ‘86 to replace the stock 4-cat H-pipe. Nice quality, easy install, but louder, especially with my FlowMaster American Thunder cat back. At some point I’ll replace the cat back with something quieter.

I installed the Bassani catted X-pipe on my ‘86 to replace the stock 4-cat H-pipe. Nice quality, easy install, but louder, especially with my FlowMaster American Thunder cat back. At some point I’ll replace the cat back with something quieter.
I have the same thing, and I like it loud and all

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Have the Bassani 304 Stainless cat-back behind BBK long tubes and off-road x-pipe. Quality/fit is among the best of any exhaust system and it has a very unique and satisfying sound, stock volume at idle with really nice rumble but it will roar with the long tubes when you get on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I have ultra flows on my car . Defintley isn’t a typical sounding 302 based engine.

13/4-17/8 long tubes , 3 inch x pipe , 3 inch flow master tailpipes with the dynomax

Sound is really subjective to what you like .

I just did a 3 inch stainless pypes setup on my belair , pypes race pros ( stainless ultra flows basically ) 2.5 inch stock style tailpipes and it sounds super crisp . That car also has hooker super comps on it already.

I've got the Magnaflow catback kit with turndowns and an H-pipe. Sounds very aggressive for a stock motor, but doesn't have the drone at highway speeds of Flowmasters. This is not my daily driver, just my hobby car, so I'd probably put tail pipes on it if I drove more. Getting ready to drop in a fresh motor with a Lunati cam, GT-40P's and some other mods. This new motor may drive me to put tailpipes out the back of the car to quiet it down a bit.