Best Spark Plugs for 4.6

soonerfever

Jul 25, 2006
What do you guys think is the best plugs to put in a 4.6. It's pretty much stock. Its got MSD wires and coils, cold air... you know nothing major. I have heard that NGK's are good for them. Any advice? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I knew a guy that built up cars and drag raced them. I asked him about this very question. He said he used to obsess about plug and which ones made any difference. He tried all of them. None of them made a difference in his times or otherwise. He sticks with the Motorcraft on his cars now and obesses about other things.

svttech76 said:
best plugs on a 4.6 are properly tourqed ones.. make sure you tourqe them right and check them often.

TRUE THAT! im running Denso Iridiums which is a little excesive but i like the bragging rights. The stockers only really last for 75k or a little less. i fouled out 5 and 8 which is a common 4.6 problem due to the way the intake manifold is designed.

The plugs you run needs to acent what you've done.
Ex. nitrous
Supercharger
Turbo
Strictly bolt on
bored, stroked, camed

you get the idea. So find out what you want on your car and go from there

svttech76 said:
best plugs on a 4.6 are properly tourqed ones.. make sure you tourqe them right and check them often.

:lol: I was thinkin' the samething:rlaugh:

Motorcrafts are about the best for the price, stay away from Plats if your going to "hammer-it" I always suggest 1 step down in heat range for stock(AGSF-22C) and 2 steps down for modded cars. me, I use Champion plugs as they offer a wider selection of heat ranges and tip-configs, but mines not a street car:p ..............anymore:)

fastangboi said:
i wouldnt run Champion in a lawn mower! crapy

well thats your opinion and thats fine. I use them in my race car, my boat motor, my lawn tractor, push mower and weed eater and I have NO problems. I even get my Motorcraft plugs for free but still choose to use Champs, just depends on what you feel comfortable wth and picking the correct plug and correct appt helps too.

RandyStinchcomb said:
:lol: I was thinkin' the samething:rlaugh:

Motorcrafts are about the best for the price, stay away from Plats if your going to "hammer-it" I always suggest 1 step down in heat range for stock(AGSF-22C) and 2 steps down for modded cars. me, I use Champion plugs as they offer a wider selection of heat ranges and tip-configs, but mines not a street car:p ..............anymore:)

randy, could you explain why you recommend a heat range colder for a stock 4.6?

stangGT97 said:
randy, could you explain why you recommend a heat range colder for a stock 4.6?

because Ford put in a sparkplug for normal driving conditions. problem is, I dont know anyone who drives a Mustang NORMAL :rlaugh: we are all hard on the throttle, banggin' off the rev-liniter, doing mods. so IMHO, the heat range should be 1 step colder than Fords recommendations, but thats me:D