best street tire?

Which street tire is best for traction (dry/wet), and longtivity?

• BF goodrich KDW2

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Nitto 555

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • other

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

the98stang

Aug 12, 2005
Clovis, CA
I want to know what is the best street tire for the price. I'm looking for good traction, and something long lasting. I want it to handle decent in water as well. Also, will 275/40/17 rub if the car is lowered about 1.5" ? Will that size pop out of the fender? What is the largest tire you can fit on 9" rims? Is anyone running tires larger than 275 in the front?

• Sponsors (?)

1. KDW stands for Key Feature: Dry & Wet. They have a 8.7 out of 10 rating for wet traction, as well as an 8.5 for hydroplaning resistance.
2. 275s shouldn't rub the front even if you're car is lowered. Some people have rubbing issues, but most do not.
3. 315s on the back mounted on 17x10.5 rims will be flush with the fender.
4. Largest tire for a 9" rim would probably be a 285...my 275s fit perfect on my 18x9s.
5. Even running 275 up front, you will have major tracking issues. The car will follow every flaw/crack/bump in the road.

i have to vote for NT555. May not be the grippiest tire, or best in the rain. But when you consider the cost, and how long they last, and overall performance, they are the best bung for buck IMO.
My NT555 - 3 years and almost 10000miles later, still have plently of meat left. and they have good looking treads too...

NT555 - best balance between cost and performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by topless98gt
18x9s.
5. Even running 275 up front, you will have major tracking issues. The car will follow every flaw/crack/bump in the road.

I'll have to disagree. i have 275 on front, and i NEVER had tracking issues. All 03 and up cobra use 275 on front, and u never heard of any tracking issues.
IF you have tracking issues, thats not because of the tire. Its more then likely an issue with something else. wide tire only amplify the existing issues such as loose tierod end or wheel bearing gone south or something in that area.

Get the 275/35/18 KDW 2's out back. These are the best street tires i've ever owned. The dry traction is insane and the wet traction is unbelievable as well. NO clue how long they last but i cut a 1.97 60' with them on a badly prepped track, so i hope that helps you make up your mind.
BTW, they look badass too :D

deftsound said:
top when you gonna lower that 4x4 :SNSign:
NEVARRRR!!!! That'll probably be the next mod. I just wish that I could duplicate my signature picture when I lower it.

EDIT: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! IT'S LOWERED NOW!!!

Damn, that's fudgin' sexy. This is definitely the next mod I am doing!
98gtmustang700lowerfp8.jpg

It's a miracle!

Attachments

• 98gtmustang700lowerfp8.jpg
    98gtmustang700lowerfp8.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 69