Best Tire for 17 X 10.5 Rims?

joshheat25

Nov 8, 2004
Delaware
I don't know what brand of tires to buy for the 10.5 inch rims? I want a Street tire that has a tread wear over 300. I have heard Goodyear Eagle F1 is a good tire. I have Sumatoma's HTR and They suck! :shrug: :bang:
:lol:

• Sponsors (?)

twogts4us said:
Another vote for the Eagle F1 - awesome wet and dry (or so says tire rack) - they are on my list for this winter's upgrades!

I love my F1's.....they are great in wet weather so far, and have wore well. I have about 10k on them and they still have plenty of treadlife left. :nice:

LizardKing 2002 said:
Nitto Nitto Nitto.

555 555R or 555IIR.

Performance tires. Forget about the snow or racing in the rain (duh).

I believe he said he wanted a street tire with a high treadwear rating....not a drag radial.... :notnice:

I would agree the nitto will have better grip, but the goodyear will be a much better street tire.

btolenti said:
I believe he said he wanted a street tire with a high treadwear rating....not a drag radial.... :notnice:

I would agree the nitto will have better grip, but the goodyear will be a much better street tire.

As a side note, anyone that drives their cars relatively hard, the Nitto 555IIR are actually not bad for thread wear in comparison to the Goodyear.

A friend with a not so stock Z06 was testing them, and developped the theory that because there is LESS wheel spin all over the band the wheels don't chew up the rubber as the stock Goodyear.

I will test his theory this coming summer. 555IIR all around.

LizardKing 2002 said:
As a side note, anyone that drives their cars relatively hard, the Nitto 555IIR are actually not bad for thread wear in comparison to the Goodyear.

A friend with a not so stock Z06 was testing them, and developped the theory that because there is LESS wheel spin all over the band the wheels don't chew up the rubber as the stock Goodyear.

I will test his theory this coming summer. 555IIR all around.

I don't disagree. Just from my viewpoint the Goodyear is a better street tire. If you need to hook that well to need a drag radial like a BFG DR or a Nitto 555, definitely go with them. My car is a daily driver, and the goodyear "should" last longer.....it has a higher treadwear, deeper tread (10/32" for the F1 GS-D3, 6/32" for the nitto)... Still lots of guys get good life out of Nittos (12-15). I just hope to get more (around 20-25k), and it looks like I will get there.

When you factor price in $183 for the Nitto, $277 for the goodyear, they are about equal. The nitto "should" last about 70% the life of the goodyear (assuming the driver has mild street manners), and the nitto is about 70% the cost of the goodyear.

:flag:

The wheels originally came with nitto drag radials on them and I they were great for the track but on the street they sucked after they lost all of their grooves so I wanted to go with a good street tire since I never really go to the track. So I went with sumatoma HTR's and they pretty much sucked! So Goodyear Eagle F1's are the way to go with street tires! At Tire Rack.com. If There are any other good brand of street tires post them as another option!

Definitly the BFG KD's at 315. They're awesome dry traction tires and I haven't slid on them in the rain yet here in Hawaii (most rainfall per year in the US.) The treadwear's better than the Nitto's too.

joshheat25 said:
For everyone who has bought Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-G3 tires. Did you buy them offline and if so what sites are the cheapest? If not where did you order them from?
I printed out a price sheet from Tire Rack and went to my local Goodyear Dealer and told them to match it. They did. I've put about 30k HARD miles on them and it's getting about time to change them. They've been awesome in the rain, and as the depth of the grooves decrease, naturally their wet weather performance has degraded somewhat.
They haven't hardened with age, like many Goodyears do. I bought them in Jan of '03 and they still provide good traction, but not quite like when they were new.
One thing I did to save money was go with the 285/40's instead of the 315/35's. I had Sumitomo HTR 315/35's and they SUCKED. The F1 GSD3's can be had for less than $200/ea in 285/40
I also had the Bridgestone Potenza RE730 for a while. Only got about 20-25k miles out of them. Performed just as well as the GSD3's, though.

All that being said - I won't be buying another set of these GSD3's. They're just too expensive. I'm going to try a set of these Continental ContiExtremeContact tires in 275/40. For $115/ea, you can't beat the price. Treadwear of 400 means they'll last me a while.