Best way to raise a 67?

Woody31

Jul 25, 2006
Looking for suggestions on the best way to raise the rear of a 67.

In the old days we used air shocks or made new leaf spring hangers.
It just seems that mustangs are lower in the rear than the front.
With the convertible having three people in the back during parades, it just sets way too low in the rear.

Thanks,
Woody

• Sponsors (?)

I've been trying to find a good way to raise the back of my 68 for a while now, without shackles, because I hate the way they look. I've had bad luck with air shocks, so those are out. I ended up using a set of helper coil springs. They are coil springs that fit around your shocks in between a clamp on each end. They have been working really well for me, and the car still rides good.

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 376
NEW LEAF SPRINGS!!! Replacing mine with 4 1/2 leaf std. springs raised it 4 or 5 ". No more sag. Original Ford springs sagged badly and you're right; they did sit lower in the back from the factory.

The sheet metal around the upper shock mount holes is thin and frequently cracked. Using air shocks or clamp-on springs will put more stress in that area. Those mounts were not designed to carry the load of the body. New springs are the way to go.

SNAKEPILOT said:
The sheet metal around the upper shock mount holes is thin and frequently cracked. Using air shocks or clamp-on springs will put more stress in that area. Those mounts were not designed to carry the load of the body. New springs are the way to go.
Agreed on all counts. Now if I could find a supplier of springs for my '66 Fury and ditch the f*** air shocks :bang:

mustangman70 said:
And wood blocks between the springs :nonono:

Seriously ive seen this on an older camro before :nono:

I saw the wood blocks in between the springs on an old Chevy II. I also saw an old Rambler (Anybody remember those. If you do you're an old fart too.) that was jacked up and muffler clamps placed on the shock to keep it riding high. This was back in the early 70's when air shocks filled to the max were in style. They couldn't afford air shocks so they improvised.

My vote is for new springs too. Forty year old springs are wore out.

Thanks to all of your replies. I have been looking to new leaf springs. I see above that it is recommended 4 1/2. I take it that is the number of leaves. However, what should the "free arc" be? 5 7/8", 3 3/4", 6 1/4", 2 1/2" ?????? I have no idea what the stock ones are now and what size I should install to raise the car.

For my '66, I looked for new rear springs to give the 5" lift I wanted. Only place I found them was good old JC Whitney. Did not like that idea buuuut, after a year plus on the car, I am pleased. Price was around the normal for most other springs also. Just look for the 4-5 inch lift in the description.

Do not use air shocks for body damage as mentioned.

Shackles look like crap as mentioned plus mess up corning with to much lean.

I lifted mine to fit the '60's in the rear plus I like the old style look of it. Get lots of compliments from the shows and just plain driving around.

iskwezm said:
why not lower the front??????:shrug:
You and I think a lot alike:nice: My '68 sat lower in the back when it was stock, but giving it the "high-school rake" never even crossed my mind. Instead I dropped the front, to where I wanted it, then dropped the rear even more to level it out a bit. After that it noy only handled much better, but it had a nicer, firmer ride rather than the stock marshmallow ride.