Best wet traction tires for Fox?

TomT_90GT

Founding Member
Feb 7, 2002
Grapevine, TX
I've searched the forums and not found exactly what I'm looking for and hoping you all can provide some feedback.

I originally had some Goodyear Eagles (I think that's what they were) on my 1990 GT when I got it. Had the usual traction problems on wet roads and lost it once hitting the shoulder and ruining those tires. Replaced them with BFG Radial T/As. Traction seemed a little better, but still dicey on wet roads. They are wearing now and about time to replace. I know no matter what I put on, I'm still going to have to watch it on wet roads, but I'm looking for:

A) Best all around wet traction capability (prime consideration)
B) prefer raised white lettering (but know this limits my choice)
C) Prefer to stick close to $100/tire

So far, it looks like Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S may be the best wet trackers I've been able to find, with the BFG Traction T/As coming in a close second.

Opinions and/or experience with these or others?

Thanks guys!

---Tom

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang + wet does NOT equal traction.

yuuuuup! these cars are just too torquey, and light in the back. i have some expensive BFG KDWS 275's (over $600 for the 2!) on the back right now, which are supposed to be pretty damn good in the rain, and if i hit the go pedal at anything above 2000rpms, it sideways time.
That said, i went from driving with these:
2591090_45_full.jpg

to these, so i definately noticed an improvent :D
2591090_72_full.jpg

on a sidenote, what's a "foglight rewire mod"??:shrug:

Wide tires can actually prevent traction in wet conditions because they hydroplane easier. If you go wide you need to get something with a V tread designed to direct water away from the center towards the sides. Not all "V" tread tires are designed for this however.

Regarding the fog light rewire mod, you should be able to find detailed info by doing a search in the forum (that's where I found the info I needed to do it). Evidently, the Fox Mustangs with fog lamps (GTs) were susceptible to having the switch burn out due to too much amperage running through them...;they'd overheat. The recommended solution was to reroute the power through a relay, using the switch to control the throw of the relay, and running battery power through the relay. Has the added benefit of allowing you to run the foglamps WITHOUT having to have the headlights on. I used the option of wiring mine so that I do have to have at least the parking lamps on. That way, you still get the warning chime if you try and leave the fogs on when exiting the car.

By the way, the "mods" I've done are absolutely pitiful compared to yours and others on the forums. I'm jealous, but with 3 kids in college, I'm too broke to do right by the old Stang. Still a fun little car...just gotta watch it when the roads shine ;-)

but with 3 kids in college, I'm too broke to do right by the old Stang. Still a fun little car...just gotta watch it when the roads shine ;-)

:eek: :owned:

JK, I totally respect, and appreciate that! I'm sure the kids do too!
I'm a broke college kid myself, and the only reason i was able to get those new tires is because mom was worried sick about me driving in the snow and rain with them like that, so they $$$$$!!! THANKS MOM!:nice:

cooper zeon 2xs...............great wet tire and super great on dry pavement.......i think there around 120 a tire, but im able to get them for 87 a piece...thats for a 275-40-17....check around

I like my Nitto drag radials, but they probably don't fit your #1 criteria. My problem was getting some grip on dry pavement - the car puts down 350 to the wheels and any hard compound would spin like crazy. The nittos solved that problem and a plus was they work great in the rain. You still need to be careful, but you can still roll into the throttle pretty good with them. Corners need to be taken carefully as well.

Tires do make a difference though.

I went from the stock goodyears on my GT to Bridgestone Potenza S-03's on it and my wet traction improved dramatically....within physical limitations.

But other than when i go WOT, i can't make them lose grip in the wet at all. I've even driven at 70MPH in downpours and they grabbed fine...even after hitting large puddles. My rain confidence went way up after putting those tires on.

Of course they were also $250/tire :(