Big brake kit on the cheap?

Danny2v

Jun 24, 2019
California
Hey everyone, I had a little bit of a odd question. I have a 02 gt and I have a hard time spending 1500 for a big brake kit. Although I'd love the added braking power, I can't get myself to make that purchase. I was wondering if there's bigger calipers or just better ones that directly fit that I may be able to find out of a junkyard on a different car. For instance my daily driver Cadillac comes with 4 piston brembos, if there's a way to find something like that in a junkyard that I can bolt up to my 02 that would be great

• Sponsors (?)

Cobra front brakes are a reasonable upgrade (2 piston calipers w/ 13" rotors). Summit and Rockauto have the the calipers/brackets (Summit has them for about $115 a piece new, unless they accept the GT ones as cores...). That's about $400-500 all together (pads/rotors/calipers) for new parts. Cheaper if you can find used Cobra calipers/brackets.

Cobra rear brakes are hardly worth the effort. Slightly bigger rotor, same single piston caliper.

Cobra front brakes are a reasonable upgrade (2 piston calipers w/ 13" rotors). Summit and Rockauto have the the calipers/brackets (Summit has them for about $115 a piece new, unless they accept the GT ones as cores...). That's about $400-500 all together (pads/rotors/calipers) for new parts. Cheaper if you can find used Cobra calipers/brackets.

Cobra rear brakes are hardly worth the effort. Slightly bigger rotor, same single piston caliper.
What I'm really looking for is that sharp initial bite, my GT has no bite and you really have to sink the pedal for a good stop. There's no air in the system, and Duralast max ceramic pads. Do you think maybe stainless hoses might give that bite I'm looking for?

It certainly can't hurt, but I imagine it'll take more than that. Our brake systems are kinda light. Even my girlfriend's little 4 cylinder Dodge has better front brakes.